Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ironman666

sharing files

Hi, I am having a problem sharing my files with my Win2k Server box. I want to be able share the files from the server (Win2k Advance Server) and to my WinME box. The Win2k box sees WinME's shared files, but I can't see any of shares of the server from WinME. It always asks me to give a password. its something like \\Server\IPC$ at the top of the dialog box. I have a workgroup setup, not a domain. ALL I want to do is setup my server so it shares my printer (HP LaserJet 4000 PLus if that helps) and files. If anyone can help then that'd be great.

-Syed Ahmad

Syed,

Either enable the Guest Account or create an accound for Windows ME.

wink

when you say create an account in WinME do you mean to create a guest account in WinME? I setup WinME for Windows Logon (in the Primary Network Logon) so I don't have to login. I'm the only one who uses the WinME so that's why I set it up to do that...I just wanted to clarify what you meant.

-Syed

in order to share files the same user must be logged on to windows ME and win2k. The UN you type in when ME starts should be the same as the 2k one.

nah, all you need to do is enable the 'guest' account on your 2k box.

Right Click 'My Computer' -> 'Manage' -> 'System Tools' -> 'Local Users and Groups' -> 'Users' -> 'Guest' -> Untick 'Account is disabled'

Which will leave a security hole big enough to drive a Mack truck through. If security is not an issue (as in the Win2K box does not connect to other networks-i.e. Internet) then go ahead. As for me, I would never, ever enable the guest account.

that worked (enabling the guest account). as far as security, my win2k server box isn't the gateway or directly connected to the internet. i have a 486 linux box that is acting as my gateway and dhcp server. i also have a firewall setup on my linux box.

all i want the win2k box to do is file sharing and be a print server, thats it. but if i'm still at risk, then is there another way to share files/printer on my LAN w/o enabling the guest account? i've already tried adding users and that didn't work.

-Syed Ahmad

p.s. i'm also willing to try winnt4 server if that's any better as far as security is concerned.

By default, when you setup any NT-based system it will create its own domain. So, you can use your existing logon for your Win2K box (or add another), and then have the Win9x box join that domain (in Network Properties). After that, when you bring up the Win9x box you will get a login prompt that you can enter the username/password combo that you have been using on your Win2K box and then they will see each other. You can also use TweakUI to automatically enter your username and password into the logon box on the Win9x PC.

well here's the thing, i have two winME boxes, a win2kserver box, and a linux box. i just created the win2kserver box (its been about a week). i am using winME and so is my sister. we each have our own comps. i have winME setup so the Primary Network Logon is Windows Logon (i'm the only person that uses that particular machine so i have no need to 'log in'). my sisters machine, on the other hand, has the Primary Network Logon setup as Client for MS Networks and she prefers to log in.

i don't mind having the guest account enabled considering the fact that all my MS machines connect to the Linux box for the internet, dhcp, firewall, etc. but if i'm still vulnerable (spelling?) then i'd like to know how to avoid this vulnerability (spelling?). Thanks for any help...

-Syed Ahmad

It's hard to say if you are vulnerable, but staying behind some sort of firewall/proxy will help. Personally, I think that enabling the guest account is the worst idea that I have ever seen here. So many people bash MS software for whatever security issue of the week, then you see suggestions to enable guest account. Will you be vulnerable? Always. Does enabling that God-awful guest account make you an easier target? Absolutely. However, staying behind that Linux box (I don't know how you have it configured) *should* help you out.