Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ThC 129

File and Printer Sharing not working

I have a problem when i click to share a file or folder the file the option to share it is greyed out. I don't know what caused it but now i can't fix it. Ive tried reinstalling F&PS but it didn't work. Anyone have any clues how to fix this?

Run the network setup wizard and the shares will appear. However, if you are using a reset crack to bypass activation, the shares will disappear on your next reboot. No fix is yet available that works for all people.

using 2481 with a reset crack here, just wondering if its what is causeing my dialup login and password to get erased whenever i restart or shutdown. Any ideas?

That's exactly what it is - one of the guys who authored the reset crack acknowledged the problem and claims it will be fixed with version 2.5 that he is going to release with RC1.

Now the cynic/paranoid in me is sitting back thinking: what if MS is really the "guys" writing these reset cracks, which kind of work but leave features disabled that one would really need to use the OS in a serious fashion. Nobody else works on cracks for the OS because the reset cracks are *good enough*, yet MS gets to prevent some intrepid hacker from bothering to hack XP in a way that works without disabling features. I tell you that if the reset crack is the best one that gets released for the RTM, and features are still disabled or hampered in any way, I will wind up buying XP Pro.

OTOH, I thought that it was Alfred E. Neumann in the grassy knoll using a high powered rifle <g>.

The best way around all of those problems is to set your system up the way you want it BEFORE you apply the crack, so the reset crack resets the machine back to the way you had it configured at the time it was applied.

so loengard, you're saying on my first boot after install when in safe mode, i should install my dial-up connection and file and print sharing then reboot? that will fix the problem?

Eddie - I tried that and actually ran XP for around 4 days before running the reset crack. I made sure that everything was setup just fine (with respect to my shares) and that all computers could access the shares, then I ran the reset crack and BAM - no shares.

It *may* work but with some of the network settings it restores defaults rather than settings that were made prior to applying the crack.

Have fun :-)

what you were saying about being paranoid about MS writing the cracks is starting to make a little sense. scary huh?

8) 8) 8) 8)

Funny thing is, that some peeps swear that it is not a problem on their systems - however the vast majority that I have polled have said that it is. Check out the winbeta forum, the http://home.nexgo.de/nanzy/v2/board/index.htm forum, and even the ms xp networking newsgroup and search for the issue and you will find it there. Maybe there is a fix now. From what I recall, a guy named DeathAngel who was a coauthor of the crack, said that it would be fixed in version 2.5 when RC1 comes out (another week now). I would not even bother activating any build now and just install RC1 when it comes out and use the new crack.

Cya.

My shares work fine here, but I'm also using a domain model for my network, so all the authentication is handeled by the server. So, in my case, there's nothing that is broken and/or crippled in the version that I have, but I can see the point of it... The best bet for ***** people will be to do the same thing with WinXP as they did with Office - get ahold of the corporate (Select) version that doesn't require activation.

Amen to that! It should be interesting to see how long it takes for one of those babies to leak out <g>. I suspect that the fact that you are logging into a domain has something to do with it. I am using a workgroup.

Eddie - are you using logging in to a domain or using a workgroup?

No problems here,

using 2485 and shares with reset.bat at work and at home.

The only thing that doesn't seem to work is remembering my messenger password.

I remember having this converstaion with you shrink, btw use your damn icq!! laugh