Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
illusionist

Can you recommend a program?

I have a client that requires me to draw out concepts of new vending display units. What I require is a simple to use program that would allow me to draw 3d drawings of the proposed cabinets or stage risers.

I don't want to spend hours learning a complicated 3d cad program just a simple out of the box jump into it type of thing.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Illusionist

Ummm you didn't mention how much you were willing to spend. You can get Autocad LT which is a scaled down version of Autocad 2000.

Is this a one time thing that after a month you woun't use it again.....sorry not really sure what your looking for.

Cadkey is very simple to use, you can bye a book on it a learn it yourself. DO YOU NEED TO DO 3D SOLIDS???

Please post how much your willing to spend and how long you wil need it for. I have used lots of different Cad software myself.

Need a little more info thanks smilesmile

Solidworks is parasolid based, and is a very easy to use CAD package. In addition, SolidView might do what you are looking for as well, and they even have free and very affordable CAD packages. Also, you can get SolidEdge "Origin" which is a free version of their commercial CAD/CAM solution. Here are their respective links:

www.solidworks.com

www.solidview.com

www.solid-edge.com

I have used Solidworks 2000 and 2001, and I am about to try SolidView, so I don't have a lot to offer on either SV or Origin in the way of advice. But, I think these are good places to start.

Exelent idea Clutch. I forgot about that free software that solid edge is offering. It's the most generouse free software package out there.

I will be using Solid Edge V9 when I return to school, I'm hoping to score a copy of it so I can do my assignments at home and also speed up the learning process. HOPE MY CONTACT PULS THROUGH smile

CadKey still has a lot of bang for the buck in my opinion.

Cheers

First off thanks clutch and JMD.

I don't really want to spend a lot of money as I've found the more expensive the program the larger and harder the program is to learn ( with all the additional features ) .

The program would be used on a continued basis but not very often. I would just like to show a client what his display unit would look like in a more professional manner, as opposed to my hand drawn sketches. I would like to be able to view the display unit as a wire model and then as a solid finished product with colour. the units that I would design would be small and simple (ie: small oval 12"high stage 6' round or a display center for small products.) I'm affraid though that what I'm asking for is going to get me into a high learning curve product .

I would sooner sell and build the product which in turn creates revenue than spend endless hours reading manuals after every click of the mouse.

Anyways thanks for the input and I will check those sites.

illusionist

Just searched for Cadkey and well it took me a while to get back on my chair. ............$2,195.00 US. Ouch , now I know why you asked about how much I wanted to spend. Not the product I need at this time but if this client pans out I'd just hire an outside cad person on a per job basis. Right now I just want to have a simple program to draw a few different shapes . I can do a line drawing with a paint program but it takes forever and when I try to draw a simple rectangular box I can't seem to get the angles quite right. I checked out the sites mentioned by clutch . They do offer a free version that I will try.

Thanks again.

illusionist just letting you know I e mailed you.

Cheers

If you just give any of those programs a shot, you will probably find what you are looking for. Give it a few days though, and make sure to check out whatever tutorials they provide.

Thanks again guys. I went out and purchased 2 simple programs . The first , try to hold your laughter to a dull roar , was CAD3D by Expert softawre and the second ( about and hour later) was Autodesks QuickCAD version 7 . Both totaled $86.00 CDN . I wanted to download the free copy that clutch recomended but there was only the option of receiving a cd copy via the mail. That could take forever. Anyways I filled out the forms and will wait to see what it is like when it comes in.

Sincerely

illusionist

I'm total agree with JMD. Autocad is the best choice. And you can use GrSoft Smart Tools for AutoCAD.

GrSoft Smart Tools for AutoCAD offer very effective user interface, making the basic AutoCAD commands accessible through user friendly dialogs, where you can easily define the basic parameters for each drawing object which is later drawn in AutoCAD environment. The most powerful feature of this package are so called smart objects( smart line, smart rectangle,...) which simplify drawing as much as possible. The goal of this software package is to reduce the design time of every drawing as much as possible.

Look here -> http://aonid.biz/common/common/9594-1/

Originally posted by sergejru:

Quote:
I'm total agree with JMD. Autocad is the best choice. And you can use GrSoft Smart Tools for AutoCAD.

GrSoft Smart Tools for AutoCAD offer very effective user interface, making the basic AutoCAD commands accessible through user friendly dialogs, where you can easily define the basic parameters for each drawing object which is later drawn in AutoCAD environment. The most powerful feature of this package are so called smart objects( smart line, smart rectangle,...) which simplify drawing as much as possible. The goal of this software package is to reduce the design time of every drawing as much as possible.

Look here -> http:///common/common/9594-1/

This guy has gotta be a bot. Is there anything he won't try to sell short of his mother!

S