Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ant -|- One

disabling ACPI (Win2k)

Seems like i can't disable ACPI through my mobo's bios, is there a way to disable it under Win2k ?

Thanks for your help, it might help me solve some problem:p

You can force your PC to be a Standard PC rather that an Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC. rather than go into the nitty gritty in this short space I'll point you to the Microsoft Knowledge base article which explains how to change it. You'll find the article at http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q237/5/56.ASP

You basically want to change the HAL from Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC to a Standard PC

Changing the HAL is a very dodgy thing to do. Going from Uniprocessor to Multiprocessor seems to work o'kay, but from ACPI to MPS, or in this case, standard, smucks things up pretty badly in my experience.

There must be an option in the BIOS, surely? under Power Management.

I agree - It's pretty much a case of using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut but it does work - I've had to do it a couple of times now without any major headaches. As long as you follow the directions on the Microsoft documentation (which also tell you how to recover a stuffed up change) you can't go too far wrong.

But I do agree that there must be an option somewhere hidden away in the BIOS.

By the way this fix also solves the problem by where some machines processor speeds are detected at half their actual speed (ie 251Mhz instead of 500Mhz) I suffer from this problem on my AMD K6-2 500Mhz. The problem is caused by the ACPI HAL in windows 2000. By downgrading the HAL to a Standard PC it correctly detects the processor as a 500Mhz chip.

The safest way to do this change is if you're doing a fresh install of Windows 2k. As the machine boots from the CD if you hold down F5 as it loads the device drivers (the very first thing it does) You will be able to select your machine type as a Standard PC which solves the problem of having to change the HAL at a later stage.

Just to re-itterate the previous comments though - BE VERY CAREFUL DOING THIS CHANGE - back up any important data prior to making the change.