Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kgeissler

Here is a tough one

I have a home network with 1 Win98 and 2 Win2k machines. One of the Win2k machines is a "server" that just shares my internet connection.

My dad needed help with something so I was going to PCAnywhere to his machine to help him. He is on a dialup.

Anyway, my connection could never find him. When I tried to ping him from my machine, it kept timing out. If I pinged him from the "server", it would find him ok. When I would do a TRACERT from my machine, it would go through every step ok, till it got to the last hop then time out.

I am using Sygate on my server to share my internet connection. And my internet connection on my box is working fine. I can ping everything else, but his dialup box.

Any ideas?

Is it possible that his ISP is blocking your attempts to create a connection? That'd be my first guess.

-bZj

If you haven't already, check Manuals and support FAQs at Sygate.

Most Proxy/Gateway/NAT servers and Firewall products I've seen have special configuration issues for pcAnywhere, etal.

Yeah, for it to work past your "router", you may need to do some IP forwarding. I don't know pcAnywhere's ICP/IP port off hand.. but i'm sure you can find out at symantec.com.

As far as the pinging proglem.. lemme think, i have to answer off the top of my head.

Ok, I figure if I am able to ping him, PCAnywhere should work. I still cant figure out why I can't ping him from my machine, but I can ping him from the server.

If I do a TRACERT to him from my machine, I will get replies all the way except for the last hop.

If I do the same TRACERT on my server, it will take the same hops, but will complete all the way through.

BTW, it use to work before. I am not sure what changed. I did add a IP forward rule to Sygate, but have since removed it.

Quote:

Can you ping anybody else from your workstation?

Yes, I can ping Yahoo or Intel, or whatever I want.