Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CyberneticGhost

DMA-Mode for ATA100 ?

Hello!

So, here is my Problem: I have the Promise ATA100-controller. When I trie to setup the DMA-Mode in windows 2000, it tells me that the DMAmode is not available. So, it runs in PIO-mode. How can I solve that Problem. I have a 40 Gbyte installled at this device. Under WindowsME it runs well.

And I have ServicePack 2 installed.

So, I hope that you can help me and please don't wonder about my englisch, I'm german.

cu

You shouldn't need to do anything for that promise card of yours..it should set to DMA by default. Try installing the newest drivers for them

Forgive me if this sounds a lil obvious and all, but are you sure your using an ATA100 compatible cable? if not, then you can't use UDMA.

You could also check in the promise cards BIOS. I know some cards and options in them to set what mode they use.

--Cynan.

With the Promise cards everything is done automatically.

If you go into the Promise BIOS during boot, it will display a list of all the devices attached to it and their speed.

Next to each of my IBM drives it says U5 - Ultra DMA 5.

Once you're using the Promise drivers under Win2k all the transfer rates, DMA etc are automatically setup - no user intervention required.

I am sure that I use the right cable. Its the one with the 80 little "cables". Afterwards I will check the Harddrive with SisoftSandra2001, if the performance is the same like under WinME.

So, thx, and cu!

there is a difference between normal IDE cables and ATA 66/100 cables.... they have the same connectors and all, but the ATA 66/100 cables have blue ends, to signify their higher speeds. If your cables don't have the blue ends, then this is your problem.

To add to what CUViper said, one end is blue and should be plugged into the motherboard IDE connector, and the other end into the drive.

Not saying your ignorant, but just checking for something as minor as that, because I've done plenty of stupid stuff with cables before that ended up being a Duh! smile

I checked the performance with SiSoft Sandra, and the performance is very high, higher than @ a normal ATA100 drive. My problem was, that it can be enableed under Win9x, but not under Win2000. But know I know that all is alricght.

thanks anyway... cu!