Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
evil Homer

2486 hung during install...

Not having much luck here.

Build 2486 hung for me twice during installation, during the "Registering Components" part, around 10 mins from completion. Anyone else had a problem like this?

Athlon 1.2Ghz

Abit KT7A-Raid

Elsa Gladiac 920 Geforce 3

640Mb PC133 RAM

SB Live Value

3com 10/100 NIC

Motorola Surfboard SB4100 Cable Modem (Turned off during install)

Was done as a clean install.

Never had it occur before.

Homer

yeah i had a similar problem not sure where in the install i think its just after it reads the components and then starts setup, my screen goes black and just sits there. I took out my GF 2 and put in my TNT and everything was fine.

Interesting. Mine went through without a hitch. Incidentially, this is a Tunderbird 1Ghz with the following:

GeForce 2

Sound Blaster Live

IEEE 1394 card

2 30 GB Ultra-2 SCSI Hard Drives

BusLogic SCSI Controller

Mitsumi CDRW drive

DVD ROM Drive

Intel Pro 100 NIC

2486 installed just fine.... Took a little longer to run through the install routine though....

Hmmm, most strange. I will try again at somepoint.

Is it me, or is XP getting worse and worse with every increasing build toward RTM?

Homer

must be you, every build ive used since 2465 has gotten better and better. You also must expect problems like installers not working and 3d apps not working because it is a beta, and yes it is a damn good beta and is 10x better than 2k was at this stage but it is still a beta so problems will arise, it is part of the process.

Every build I've used since 2462 has gotten better as well. 2465 broke Remote Desktop, but it was fixed by the next build. The install routine is still rather slow, in my opinion, but the OS itself has gotten better with each build. I've even had no problems with internal builds, which I never could get to work right with 2K while it was in beta.... and don't get me started on how bad NT 4.0 was while it was in beta....

Well, it finally installed... don't know how...

And the sluggishness that I suffered with 2485 was there too frown

I tried all manner of things to fix it. Removed the soundcard, took out my SCSI card, changed the DMA access of the drives.

Then something occured to me. There is another post in the XP forum about XP not being too fond of the Abit KT7A-Raid Highpoint Raid controller. I've noted that the stuttering seems to occur when the hard drive its installed to is accessed heavily (Such as opening a program or file etc etc)

The drive that XP is installed on is on the RAID (IDE 3). Does it seem plausible that this could be the reason XP is sluggish when the hard drive is accessed?

I have another ATA66 drive lying around somewhere which I can hook up into the regular ATA66/IDE channels. I'll try that and reinstall XP 2486.

Homer