Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tuffsna

Shared desktop on multiple machines

How do i do to get the same desktop for a user on every machine in a win2k environment with active directory?

confused /Andreas

Are you talking about everybody using the same desktop background? Use the group policy editor for your domain (this is taken from Windows help):

To open Group Policy from Active Directory Users and Computers

Open Active Directory Users and Computers.

In the console tree, right-click the domain or organizational unit you want to set Group Policy for.

Where?

Active Directory Users and Computers [domain_controller_name.domain_name]

domain

organizational_unit

child_organizational_unit...

Click Properties, and then click the Group Policy tab.

Click Edit to open the Group Policy object you want to edit. (Or, click New to create a new Group Policy object, and then click Edit.)

Note

To open Active Directory Users and Computers, click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Active Directory Users and Computers.

Then, go to User Configuration>Administrative Templates. I have not messed with this much, other than in class, but I think this you give you what you are looking for.

Oh, and btw, if you don't have "AD Users and Computers" or any of the other admin MSC files, just install the "ADMINPAK.MSI" file from the latest service pack that you have. This file is normally found on the Win2K Server CDs, but they are also in the service packs as well. Just use WinZip (or WinRAR in my case) to browse the SP. This program will give you all of the admin tools found on the servers.

I ment that One user should have the same desktop regardless of which computer he sits at. So he has the same shortcuts and background etc.

/andreas