Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kallis

Homeworld Issue

Hello, I am having an issue with homeworld I can load to the menu screen. This is where my problem starts. When I goto adjust the vidoe all I can do is choose d3d or software not openGl. this just the start the next part of this is that when I try to go into a game it just drops me to the desktop I am really frustrated I tried tons of things from drivers to tweaking the card tweaking the bios etc I am just really lost. Anybody got any suggestions here are my specs

AMD athlon 1200 mhz

MSI k7t-turbo

256 megs of pc133 sdram

Asus 7700 deluxe geforce gts video card 32 megs nvidis ref drv 12.41

1 15 gig segate 7200 rpm HDD

1 20 gig maxtor 5400 rpm HDD

SBlive x-gamer 5.1

acer 52x cd-cdrom drive

imation scsi cdrw 8x2x20

Windows 2000 sp2

p.s You can talk technical all you need I am a technician but just out of ideasconfused

As far as OpenGL is concerned, the option is not available when playing in Win2K.

FOR THOSE IDIOTS WHO DO NOT REALISE THAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT HOMEWORLD, THE ABOVE MESSAGE ONLY APPLIES TO HOMEWORLD WHEN RUNNING IN WIN2K. OTHER GAMES DO SUPPORT OPENGL IN WIN2K.

HOMEWORLD DOES NOT.

thats not true as star trek elite force is running in opengl and so is ut and a few others including tribes I just can't get homeworld to do it

Perhaps what is meant, is that the OpenGL option for that particular game isn't available in 2K.

--Cynan.

I think its due to the fact that Microsoft didn't include a OpenGL driver in Windows 2000 when it was developed, because they were focused on DirectX.

Therefore, it was up to the hardware vendors to supply opengl drivers (The aforementioned Elite Force working etc etc), so it might be due that there is now opengl driver supported by Windows available

(Sorry if that doesn't make sense, got a really bad cold atm)

Homer

2K did support OpenGL, and did indeed come with its own driver. However, these drivers didn't fully implement the standard (I think). 3rd parties, such as nVidia, then released there own drivers along with their cards.

Quake3 based games use the systems drivers rather then a games own. So the fact that EF is working, means that your OpenGL sub-system is also working fine.

Having never played the game you are having trouble with I cannot really help you, other then suggest what Asghar already did, that that particular game doesn't support OpenGL under 2K.

Why don't you go to there site and check the FAQs, support pages etc, maybe even email them just to be sure.

--Cynan.

thanks for the info so far. I will probally have to email them as I have looked at faq and nothing been able to help me. What I find wierd about this situtation is that when I was using my athlon 600 with a tnt2 using similar drivers under 2000 it worked. well if anymore info comes up it will be greatly appreciated

Homeword CD holds a GLSetup folder but that third party OpenGL solution only works in Windows 98.

Did you get the latest patch for HomeWorld? I can get it to work with OpenGL no problem.

I got the latest patch and still no go thhanks though. I am still looking in to it. may try tweaking the sound card as sblive geforce cards and via chipset mobo have problem playing nice together

Forget about other games, as I said before HOMEWORLD DOES NOT SUPPORT OPENGL WHEN RUNNING IN WINDOWS 2000, only Win98.