Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ConceptVBS

FAT 32 and Windows 2000

Hi,

I upgraded my computer to Win 2k from Win 98 SE. Im thinking about reinstalling WIN 98 SE. I made my main hard drive and my second hard drive to NTFS. Is there a way that I can revert back to FAT 32 without purchasing any third party software?

P.S. I dont want my files to be all deleted.

And one more thing... If I can get back my main hard drive to WIN 98SE with FAT 32, can it access a NTFS second hard drive?

Thanks a lot

MIke

Uhh, you're saying you want to dual boot w/o 3rd party software? I'm pretty sure that you can't change the filesystem without formatting the drive unless you get 3rd party software. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any software that won't destroy the partition to change the filesystem.

Since your going to do a dual boot, I highly suggest you have everything formatted to FAT32. Win9x CANNOT read NTFS.

So there, I think I kinda answered your questions. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Of course if you have just one partition as NTFS, and all your data you want saved on a different FAT32 partition, you should be okay.

I'll give you more info if you dual booting.

Also, I don't know of any third party program that can convert from NTFS to FAT(32) without losing data.

FAT to NTFS sure but not vice versa. I think you're out of luck man. Just back your data up and start again. frown

Partition Magic can convert from NTFS back to FAT32/16. But then again, it's 3rd party software. Also, there is a 3rd party app that will let Win9x read NTFS partitions too.

Well, you would convert the partition back to Fat32 (or create a Fat 32 partition) using Partition Magic, then install Win98 to that partition. I would imagine that you could either manually edit the boot.ini to support the Win98 install in the boot menu, or run the repair option by booting from the Win2K CD. However, putting the NT-based OS on AFTER installing a Win9x OS is always better, but this would more than likely be the way I would do if I needed to.

Actually, you don't even need to edit any files. Here's the safe way:

Right click on My Computer--Properties--Advanced tab--Startup and Recovery. Of course before this, if you install Win98 after Win2k, run the repair option off the Win2k CD. Just boot off it and when it comes to the screen asking if you want to install it, hit R to choose the repair option. Make sure you read what pops up so you can just let the CD-repair fix the booting itself. You don't need a ERD for it to work.

However, like clutch said, it's better to do the Win9x install first, then the NT OS. I haven't had any problems either way.