Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Xiven

12.41 Detonators released (officially)

12.41 has been released officially now (www.nvidia.com). The official download is byte-for-byte identical to the one leaked a few days ago, so don't bother re-downloading it.

Unfortunately the drivers still have the annoying refresh rate problem with some monitors:

Quote:
"...problem with the new detonators drivers (after 6.50) under Win2K, which limit the refresh rate to 75 Hz with certain types of monitors (IIYama). Actually, the new drivers cannot detect the DDC information of the monitor (which contains informations about refresh rates capabilities). The refresh rate fix utility (nvreffix) only allows to get the max : 75 Hz allowed by the new drivers."

But I guess I can put up with 75 Hz for now frown

--

Xiven

ABit KT7-RAID

D750 @ 850MHz

256MB PC133 RAM

Creative Labs 3D Blaster GeForce2 MX (Det 12.41)

Creative Labs SBLive! Player 5.1

Macronix MX98715 100Mbit/s Ethernet Adapter

Maxtor 5 T060H6 Ultra-ATA 100 Hard Drive (Primary Master on HPT)

Fujitsu MPD3173AT 17.3 GB Ultra-ATA 66 Hard Drive (Secondary Master on HPT)

Creative DVD-ROM DVD1241E (RPc-1) (Primary Master on IDE)

Iiyama Vision Master Pro 451 19" Monitor

Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 Digital 5.1 surround speakers

Win2kPro (SP-2)

Researched the above problem a bit more and found this (www.geforcefaq.com)

Quote:

Note that in Windows 2000 for some drivers some people cannot set the refresh rate above 75hz even if they use the NVIDIA Refresh Rate Fix program. It appears that the drivers do not detect the monitor DDC information correctly - Philips monitors are fine but other makes like IIyama are not. The following fixes help for some people but not others:

You may be able to fix this by installing your monitor as a 'Default Monitor' in Windows instead of using the specific drivers.

You may be able to fix the problem by leaving your monitor off until Windows has finished loading, stopping Plug and Play from detecting the monitor.

If your monitor supports BNC inputs, try plugging your monitor in using these instead. This will disable the Plug and Play support that seems to be causing the problems.

You can try physically removing pins 4, 5, 9, 11 12 and 15 from your D-SUB monitor connector. This will have the same effect as using a BNC cable as these pins are used for Plug and Play support. You will, of course, almost certainly void your monitor's warranty by doing this. The pins on the cable are numbered as following:

Code:
+---------------------+ \   1  2  3  4  5   /  \  6  7  8  9  10 /   \ 11 12 13 14 15/    +-------------+

If you don't want to pull apart your monitor's signal cable, get a monitor signal extension cable and take out those pins instead. This may cause degraded 2D display because the longer lead will allow for more interference.

I've never experienced the refresh rate prob but there's a prog on tweakfiles.com

Quote:

I've never experienced the refresh rate prob but there's a prog on tweakfiles.com

Which one? If you're referring to the NVidia Refresh Rate Fix, then I'm afraid it just doesn't work. With the 12.41 drivers (or any driver from 7.xx upwards, the maximum refresh rate you can pick in anything (including the NVidia Refresh Rate Fix program) is limited to 75 Hz.

Clarifying some points here:

1) I'm talking about desktop refresh rate, not refresh rate in games.
2) This only happens on some monitors and only happens on detonator v 7.xx upwards. Iiyama monitors are known to be affected.
3) The fault is apparently within the driver's DDC detection routines. It is not the fault of the monitor.

Since I'm unwilling to take apart my monitor cable and none of the other methods have worked I'm just going to have to hope that someone releases a fix soon.

I have a problem with the 12.41 official, I´ve a TNT2 Ultra card and the driver can´t seem to install and when I install manually, I can only seem to install on a TNT2 and TNT2 pro card there´s no referens on the TNT2 ULTRA card.....Have anyone else this problem or a solution?

Could be wrong, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the new drivers don't include support for TNT cards.

--Cynan.

They do...but only in leaked drivers. TNT is not certified with 12.41 drivers (but TNT2 Pro is)

When I open the nv4_disp installationsinformation file, there´s text for the; NV5ULTRA (TNT2 ULTRA) Supported Reference Modes but still nothing happens when I try to install....it says that it´s only for TNT2 pro, is it a bug or what?

I am having this problem too, it's driving me nuts.

Does anyone know if the 12.90's fix this?

copied from the nvidia.com site

Detonator3 v12.41 Windows 2000

TNT2, Vanta, GeForce256, GeForce2**, GeForce3, Quadro, and Quadro2 family of graphic processors are supported through NVIDIA's Industry Standard Unified Driver Architecture (UDA). If you are using a TNT or TNT2 Ultra product, please download the non-WHQL driver.

so there you have it, hope that helps.

How about manually editing the .inf file and remove the HZ rates you dont use? Be careful to go any higher than 85 with your gaming refresh rates as some games dont like it (evolva and starship troopers).

I have everything set to 85 except 1024 there I have 100 and also 1152 100 (my desk resolution).

I got tired of screwing with the registry, .inf files, external tools, etc.

I had a spare monitor cable, and broke off pin 15 (DDC), hooked it up, turned everything on, setup my monitor in Win2k (and it stays it doesn't try to redetect) and everything works fine now. I am able to choose all of the real available refresh rates in Windows. Also, now when I run the Nvidia Refresh tool, it shows all of the correct refresh rates for my monitor, and I used that to set it for other modes (for the games).

Everything is working great now.

On a side note, I noticed that the 6.50 drivers don't have this problem, but I had problems with games running those, I would get a black screen or garbage on the screen. I am using the 12.41's.