Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gordons-joint

Memory leak in 2k

I'm having huge memory problems in win2k. Up until Christmas I used an old Pentium Pro 200 which ran for around a month at a time without needing to be reset. It worked great! Now I run a dual PIII 1GHz with 256MB RDRAM on an 840 mobo and depending on what apps I open, it only stays up for about a day!

I have tried re-installing 2k on a clean formatted partition and only installing the necessary apps, which amounts to premiere, photoshop, 3ds max, and office, with drivers for my alcatel adsl modem and pinnacle firewire card. I even left out the SBLive cause i thought it might be the creative drivers fault.

On booting task manager shows about 70MB used, but after using the machine for a day the used memory routinely ends up around 250MB used with all apps closed!! but nothing in task manager appears to be using any huge amounts of memory!! With this amount of memory used premiere refuses to open and the adsl model falls over so I have to reset the machine.

Anyone know what is going on here? is this a rouge driver's fault? has anyone seen this behaviour before? I'm at my wits end!!

Thanks

A long shot. Have you tried re-installing it back on a system that doesnt have RDRAM?

No sarcasm. I am just sceptical about RDRAM cause i dont know much about it.

If its the same OS in the same configuration the problem seems to point towards a hardware issue.

Also i run Win2k pro and win2k Advanced server on 2 IPEX dual P2 180mhz machines. the pro only has 64meg of edo ram, the AS runs 192 meg of EDO ram and neither of them have ever had any problems. However i get more problems with win2k on my P3 700 with 128 meg SDRAM.

So i'm just trying to help.....

hehe

cool! thanks for actually replying! its really annoying when a 6 year old machine runs without a hitch and your new hardware causes no end of problems!

Yeah, its fun isnt it!

But i suppose if windows wasnt riddled with these sorts of bugs i'd be out of a job!

-Regards Mua Dib

One of those apps is eating up your memory. Try logging off and logging back in instead of rebooting and see if that fixes it.

Have you tried a bare installation? no driver or software?

What is your version (2195 for me)

Might be bad ram have you run a check to see if the ram is completely ok?(norton has a util for that)

I have my current system(win2k pro)running for about the sixth day now and it hasn't flinched as far as I can tell and it does not lag the network and I ALWAYS LEAVE IT ON<<<< dust is accumiliating on the power button as we speak.(cant access it cause a monitor went bad and the other are to old to use cause of resolution issues)

Im guessing it a hardware issue and not the OS unless it's CD is defective or damaged.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I've been experimenting with what apps I open and it would seem that the machine itself is stable, running 24/7 with just SETI running all seems fine. Loading one app doesn't seem to affect much but if you load all of them at some point during a session the memory starts to go through the roof, and continues to swell from then on!

I guess I'll just need to be careful how I run stuff and if I have to run loads of apps, just remember to reset afterwards!