Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
I26

New to Linux....where to start?

I am straight off the XP band wagon and want to jump aboard the Linux boat. I d/l Linux Mandrake 9.2 as it seems it supports my HW quite well. Is it a good distro to start off with? What advantages does Linux have over XP or any windows for that matter? These are my system specs for anyone needing to know:

Asus P4T533-C (Intel 850E Chipset)

Intel 2.4GHz B CPU

512MB Samsung pc1066 RDRAM

ATI 9700Pro Video

ATI TV Wonder VE

Creative Soundblaster Live! X-Gamer

D-Link DFE-530TX+ NIC

Toshiba SD-M1202 DVD-ROM

Lite-On LTR-40125S CDRW

WD 30GB HD

WD 20GB HD

Klipsch Promedia 4.2

I just want to muck around in Linux to get a feel for it. If I end up liking it I will move forward.

126, I would recommend trying out one of the live cd distros to see if Linux is for you. That way you don't have to commit it to your hd until you have an idea if it is to your liking, and it configures your hardware from the cd. There are several to choose from, the most famous being Knoppix. I personally prefer Morphix, but there are many more. In fact, I believe even Mandrake has a live cd version of 9.2 out as well. If you check out a live cd version, the good news is, it will not have an effect on your existring OS. You may have ot unplug your box and wait 30 seconds after running a live cd, and before booting your regular OS.

Thanx for the insight. I will be sure to try one of them or perhaps both. I was planning on installing Mandrake on one of my spare hd to check it out. Thanx again!!!! smile

I am pretty new to linux...and while a lot of my probs have just been my own retardedness, Fedora treated me well, I havn't really tried any other distros though...go with dapper dan, he has helped me out before and claims he knows what linux is=p Advantages to linux...

well there are many, i have yet to actualyl get my system to freeze, and i'm good at that...um more freedom...ii just started using it over the past month..so not too familiar...

Daum