Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mooxooh

Win XP + Personal Firewall(s)

Hey,

I tried installing Tiny Personal Firewall under Windows XP but it permanent produces 'Fatal Application Exit' errors - anyone knows a good personal firewall which will work with XP ?

Thanks

I'm using AtGuard 3.22 without problems. People have reported ZoneAlarm 2.6 working but it doesn't report any alerts for me.

Thanks, i don't know AT Guard and so i tried Zone Alarm - which worked fine (there were lots of alerts cool )

I'm just curious..is the firewall built into XP not good enough?

Don't have XP but isn't the XP firewall NAT based security. To my knowledge from the Microsoft papers it's like taking your computer and putting it behind a 1 port router. Software firewalls do more like deny access of certain applications.

On my XP Pro Beta 2 machine, I tried to run a chat server though no one could connect. I actually had to add the program to XP's built in firewall utility and specify the port I wanted it to be able to use and then people could actually connect to it.

I guess if the built in firewall in XP is basic, it was doing quite a good job.

I don't think that the 'built in personal firewall' of XP is bad - i didn't test it..

But i want to use a personal firewall (or portfilter) to control (or at least be aware of) _any_ data which is sent through the internet. I don't think that XP's firewall would block (or at least notify me about) some transmissions going on between my pc and some ms servers..

Maybe i'm a little bit paranoid, but i really want 1 .to know what this WinXP wants to send when to whom and 2. possibly block it - and i don't think that the built in pf would let me do all that :P

Quote:
I don't think that XP's firewall would block (or at least notify me about) some transmissions going on between my pc and some ms servers..

100% correct. And one very good reason not to use it as your "only" firewall. (Is the word privacy even still in the dictionary? hehe) Anyway, in beta 2 clicking the "search" button would trigger communication to www.sa.windows.com. (Yes, just searching for files on your HD) Connecting to the internet the few first times in 2475 would trigger communication to www.time.microsoft.com. There is of course a few others, but i'll just leave it at those two examples. Other then that, ive tested the built in firewall at shields-up and it blocked all communication attempts to my cumputer. BTW, ive been having very good results using AtGuard Version 3.22.

Hope this clears up some confusion!

Hey,

I am running Zonealarm 2.6 through 2K and XP (2481). In 2K is works great, Im really happy, but in XP it is TOO secure.

In 2K when I have the connection locked, and allowed certain apps to pass the lock it works fine, but in XP even some apps that have been given ability to pass the lock get cut off. For eg I have my ftp client, which has rights, but Zonealarm still cuts it off whenever it is in Locked mode. I have tried to clear the permissions for it, and give them again, but that doesnt change anything.

I have heard from others that most firewalls are buggy in XP so far. Anyone seeing problems with Zonealarm on XP?

Joshua