Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
aUGUST tHORNE

Tweaking questions, please help!

There are a few things I would like to see if anyone knows. First, can the Plug & Play service be disabled, or does this break your system. I really don't like it. Second, I don't like how I get thumbnail images in explorer for JPEG's(doesn't seem to do it for Bitmaps), can this be disabled? I found a key in the registry that said something about thumbnail autoextract and set it to '0', but that didn't do anything. Also, I disable all the services I don't need, including Server service. I get errors in event viewer(they don't actually affect my session, I just want to get rid of them) regarding perfnet counters. In Comp Management, in the performance log area, nothing is set up, but it still seems to be counting stuff(I get other messages in event viewer about performance counting things). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:

There are a few things I would like to see if anyone knows. First, can the Plug & Play service be disabled, or does this break your system. I really don't like it.

Erm...... why??????. That is like such a bad idea. You can disable it, sure, but the resources you'll save will be negligible and you'll lose a whole lot of useful functionality.

Quote:
Second, I don't like how I get thumbnail images in explorer for JPEG's(doesn't seem to do it for Bitmaps), can this be disabled?

Two ways really, either disable "web view" which gets rid of the whole left-hand bar altogether:

Go to "View" menu
Untick "as Web Page"
Go to "Tools" -> "Folder Options"
Select "View" tab
Click "Like current folder"
Close all explorer windows

OR you can remove just the thumbnail from the frame by opening up the file c:\winnt\web\folder.htt and removing it from there. I can't remember off-hand which bit to remove cos I'm stuck on a Win98 machine here at work. I will take a look when I get home though.

Quote:
Also, I disable all the services I don't need, including Server service. I get errors in event viewer(they don't actually affect my session, I just want to get rid of them) regarding perfnet counters. In Comp Management, in the performance log area, nothing is set up, but it still seems to be counting stuff(I get other messages in event viewer about performance counting things). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You like removing services don't you... smile

In explorer:

Click view > details (or whatever)

You should see thumbnails there, just select something different

Oh those thumbnails. Sorry, mis-read that a bit. Thought he meant the web view bit.

I think you guys are thinking of something different. I know about the whole 'web view' and 'views' thing. I have everything set to classic view. What I'm talking about is that the actual icons instead of being a standard jpeg icon is a thumbnail of the picture. I don't remember it doing this before SP2(I had 2000 installed before, had problems, went back to NT, and then installed 2000 again after SP2 was released.)

The only way I know is to rename/delete the desktop.ini file in the "My Pictures" directory. Clears it up quickly for me.

Xiven........

I read your suggestion about going to "View" and unchecking Web View. I'm new to Win2000Pro, but I can't find Web View anywhere. Please know, as a ex-98SE user, I would like to, since I hate web view and turned if off anytime I could under 98SE.

So I don't misunderstand, you're suggesting, if I go into Control Panel or some other window, I should be able to find a Web View control under View!?

SnapperOne

Oops, goofed again. I was using Win98 and trying to describe it from memory. My memory is clearly lacking.

Go to "Tools" -> "Folder Options" and select "Use Windows classic folders"

Xiven............

Cool! By the way are you 5 hours ahead (as in 7:00AM GMT) or five hours behind (as in 9:00pm GMT) relative to Chicago, IL, USA. Guess what I'm trying to find out is, since you always seem to be around to answer questions, do you ever sleep?

No I never sleep wink

I'm 6 hours ahead of you I believe being at GMT+1 (British Summer Time)

I'm at work between 08.15 and 17.00 BST (02.15 - 11.00 CDT) and will usualy check the boards a few times then.

I may also be online any time between 19.00 and 00.00 BST (13.00 - 18.00 CDT).

I tried deleting the desktop.ini file and that didn't help. I don't want each file's icon to be a thumbnail, because I have a large number of image files, and every time I go into an image folder and have to wait for all the thumbs to load. Does anybody know any other way to disable this "feature"? Thanks.

Select your folder in the left hand pane of explorer, so that all the thumbnails are in the right hand pane.

Goto view > details.

I know you say you are asking something different, but thats how I am reading it.

Again.

try this:

In windows explorer go to View and select details, or whatever.

then goto tools > folder options > view > Like current view.

This will reset all folders on your system to the detail view as a default.

Unless your running a P200 with a poofteenth of ram i wouldnt bother disabling services, as i have found out it can be quite detrimental to your system rather than good. Keep in mind that some services are interdependant on other services, and some system files are dependant on system services, to be running.

So if you disable one you must go through and find the others you have to disable. For example, the Server service depends on the Computer browser service.

Also, recently (hehehe, see my entry for Dial-Up Problems) i found out that if i disable my Event logging service i lost my Dial-Up connection because the file RASPHONE.PBK which contains entries for dial up connections is dependant upon the event logging service (i still dont know why though smile )

So i hope we can curb your fear of services and help you understand that although they may use up tinee bits of system resources they act to smoothen system operation on the whole.

-Mua