Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pubic Moose

Win2k DNS Problems... Please help!

I am experiencing a perplexing problem. I came back from school where I used a LAN connection and attempted to switch back to the dialup connection that worked perfectly the last time I tried it. I made no changes to the connection whatsoever, but that does not seem to matter. When I connect using dialup (or my new DSL connection, which experiences the same problem), I can ping IP addresses, and do anything that does not involve DNS lookup. However, I am not able to resolve any DNS addresses. I am quite certain that I have the appropriate DNS servers entered, and I have tried multiple different servers. As I said, this problem manifests itself through my old dialup as well as my new DSL connection. I have a 98 installation on here as well, and both connections work fine under there. It is simply a problem with 2k. I installed SP2, hoping that it might magically fix the problem, but alas it did not.

I have no idea what is causing this or how to fix it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

-Pubic Moose

If you go to MS KB and type in Windows 2000 DNS problem, you find some very usefull links... Ive had the same problem and the links on MS KB helped me alot!!

/Snuff

You did not mention it, but have you attempted enabling the option that allows the system to obtain a DNS server automatically?

If you think your lan connection might be causing you heart ache try disabling it.

After restarting the connection (or rebooting if you have to) periodically check to see if you have picked up a DNS address using the command line session window command "ipconfig /all"

If this dont work i suggest calling your ISP.

-Mua

Well, I still don't know what is causing the problem, but I have found that if I restart the DNS Client service after establishing a net connection, I am able to do name lookup. I must do this every time I restart the computer, however, so it isn't an ideal solution.

Is the service failing at any time?

Have you tried going to the recovery tab on the service properties and setting the first/second/subsequent failure boxes to 'restart service'

-Mua

It will not allow me to set that as an option.

"This service runs in the same process as the server control manager. Therefore, the service control manager can not take action if this service's process terminates unexpectedly."

I think you should call your ISP and see if any of their other Win2K users are experiencing any problems. Aside from that you may need to just re-run your win2k cd installation again. Dont worry bout it either, i did it the other day and it corrected some niggling problems i was having.

-Mua