Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jrc384k

What XP to get?

Ok here is the question. I am comfortable with Win2kPro and 9x/ME. What XP should I get Pro or Home. I am a home user but there are some things that I like to tinker with in 2kPro. I really don't need the multi-processor support of the Pro versions. Also will compatibility be better with older software. I am concerned since some of my software doesn't work with 2k even with the new SP2 compatibility mode. Will that software not work since 2k and XP are both based on the NT kernel? And finally are there any guesses on what the cost of this thing will be?

Thanks Spyder. That was all the straight up info I needed. So basically XP Pro is just a beefed up XP home with a touch of 2k. I do have one concern. XP Pro supports "up to nine concurrent monitors" while XP Home only supports one. What about my GeForce with Dual Display? Will I be able to use the dual display/multimonitor support of the GeForce in XP Home?

I don't know the answer for sure, but guessing from what you quoted, I'd assume that you'd be S.O.L.

If you want multimonitor support, appears you have to go with XP Pro... which somewhat makes sense, because you're probably a power user if you're using more than one monitor at a time.

Looks like I will have to give my friends at Hercules and Nvidia a call. Maybe they will support it in their latest driver?

In my understanding, for that feature of the driver to work, the functionality has to be built into the OS, doesnt it? If that were the case, it wouldnt matter if the driver could do it or not. I've read a few articles online and XP Pro is a little more expensive than XP Home, so you wouldn't be out too much. I'm going with XP Pro just simply because I want the full brunt of the OS, rather than its slimmed down counterpart.

Does the following quote mean that TCP/IP is not available with the Home version? What about my home network computers that use TCP/IP to talk to each other?

The following are not included in Home Edition:

The user interface for IPSecurity (IPSec)

SNMP

Simple TCP/IP services

SAP Agent

Client Service for NetWare

Network Monitor

Multiple Roaming feature

Ed

I believe by services they mean ftp/http etc. built in so you can use your computer as a server. Absolutely XP Home will include TCP/IP for Internet and network connections.

For now I am still leaning toward home. Do you know if pro will have the user selection screen that home has? I need that since this PC will be a multiuser PC and having to type passwords and usernames (like in 2k Pro) confuses the family. Do you also know if both home and pro will have the same compatibility layer for older programs? That is also of importance since some programs I have don't work under 2k Pro.

Ok here's the deal. XP Pro is XP Home with a little extra stuff thrown in. Everything XP Home has, XP Pro has. Theres no reason not to go with XP Pro..only a few default settings have been set differently, which you could change to match XP Home.

After some digging I found the WinXP overview on the Microsoft site and I downloaded it on MS Word. It explained everything fully and now I will definitely get Pro in what!!! 5 months!!!

could you post the URL to this Word doc on the MS website? Thanks

Nevermind..found it. For anyone else interested:

Windows XP Technical Overview

Also, I thought I had this straight from everything I've read about the differences between XP Home and Pro, but now I'm doubting myself. From my understanding, the Remote Assistance feature is nerfed in XP Home in such that you can only request assistance, but not offer it. If you want to actually help someone, you need XP Pro. Is this correct? Does anyone know?

Knowing uncle Billy that will be the two step program to frustration with MS products. I hope XP is all they say it will be. I'm already investing in it and it isn't even out yet.

This isn't worth starting a new thread on so I will ask it here. Does XP have the msconfig and winipcfg utilities that aren't present in WIn2k?

Yes it has Msconfig. No it doesn't have the crappy winipcfg. Still ipconfig. THANK YOU. You did ONE thing right with XP Microsoft! WOW!

They still have ipconfig? I thought they had taken it out.. well thank god!

Good. I missed msconfig in Win2k. Wow, WinXP looks really appealing. Can't wait till I get RC1. Should take about???? 6 weeks to get it. Took me 6 weeks to get Office 2000 SP1 on CD from MS. Funny thing is when I got the CD, SP1a came out.