Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shaocaholica

DVD playback in Win2K horrible, plz help

I just installed Win2K pro and Im not as familiar with it as Im with 9x. Soon after I got the drivers and accounts setup I went on to test out DVD playback. It is horrible. Both the video and sound are choppy to the point where the DVD is unwatchable. Here are my specs:

P3 700

384MB ram

ATI Radeon 64MB VIVO with driver version 5.13.1.3205

Vortex2 Ref sound with driver version 5.12.1.2559

ATI DVD player 4.1 (latest)

AOpen (Pioneer Repack) 6x DVD drive

Win2K Pro + SP2

Here is what I have done so far with no luck:

First off the DVD drive is on its own IDE channel as master with no slave. I have set both my IDE channels to "DMA if avaliable". I have reduced my audio hardware acceleration. I have tried playing in both admin and power user accounts if that make any diff =P. WIth my system spec, I should be fine doing all the decoding in software, even with ATI hardware decoding the playback blows. I have also tried the windows dvdplay.exe player and that also stutters just as much. I know my hardware is good because I had no probs with playback under win98. Im thinking it might be my soundcard but I also turned off audio hardware acceleration and it still didn't work. Any thoughts? I know there has to be hordes of ppl who watch DVDs under 2K.

The Radeon cards would be great, but the drivers, especially under Win2k suck so hard it's not even funny. If ATI would get some good drivers out for Win2k, I actually might have one. But they don't. My Voodoo 4 4500 AGP ran better than a Radeon under Win2k. ATI hasn't really had what I would consider to be great, or in some cases decent, drivers under Win2k. They can run pretty well under Win9x, but that means jack to me. While the video quality is excellent, 2nd only to Matrox cards, that matters didly squat when it has horrible performance elsewhere. I have a friend who hasn't had any good luck with his Radeon. Benchmarks are great, but some magazines don't mention it's weaknesses. Benchmarks are crap with real world tests. ATI keeps failing on this. The only thing I can think of that's worse than ATI cards are video cards based on SiS chipsets. 32-bit color is nice, but not if you can't play your games.

As ThC said,"Radeons suck under 2k." No joke. mad

well...my 3D under 2K hasn't been that bad. HL runs flawlessly (albeit a simple game by todays standards) and 3DMark2k1 gets about the same score as I did under Win98...well a few points lower. Still if it is the Drivers that are f'ing up my playback then Im pissed. ATI's Win9x drivers are shakey by my standards, if the 2k drivers are truely worse then ATI needs to spend less on Canadian Beer (as good as it is) and put that $$$ into driver development + manufacturing* + engineering.

*2 of my Radeons blew up already and I didn't even OC them...yet.

The Radeon 64 rocks in win2K. You guys must have some install or driver conflicts. DVD playback and all games run awesome, in 3DMark2001 I score 4300. I am running 3116 Ati drivers with no problems in win2k and the 3063 in WinME. Go to www.rage3d.com and you can get some help instead of product bashing.

Ned

I have to agree my radeon is very good in win2k, except for the DVD app. It just doesn't work. The problem has been narrowed down to the IDE controller, the DVD app, and the drive. For some reason the ATI DVD player won't accept that DMA is enabled on the drive. It works perfectly in winxp with the same drivers, so I guess the DMA problem has been fixed. In XP the IDE properties show the DMA mode as something like DMA multiword mode 2. Whereas win2k just says DMA enabled. SO I guess it's related to that. Works fine in win9x too.