Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Maillion

K3B probs...

I am using Debian (installed through Knoppix), and I tried to burn an ISO using k3b. It said that it could not locate the cdrecord and cdrdao executables. When I used apt-get to install these (cdrtools and cdrdao) it said that they were already installed with the top version. When I looked for them with the superuser file manager, it showed that there was one file called cdrdao that was over 500 K, but it was inacessible, and had no exec icon. There was another called cdrecord that was 133 bytes, but not an executable, either. What should I do? There are no other cd softwares that I am familiar with, like cdroast.) 8)

Thanks, Dapper! Ive been looking over the net for other than k3b, but most of them Ive found have used cdrecord and mkisofs (sp) Mkisofs seems to be OK on my system, but cdrecord is not found by k3b, and I can't find the executable myself... Does Burncenter use cdrecord or cdrdao? (Don't worry, I'll go to the site as soon as I post this and checkit out...) What I would really like to find out is why cdrecord and cdrdao are not locatable by k3b, but apt-get says they are up-to-date... ;(

EDIT

I went to the site, and it does need cdrecord. I still need to find out how to get my cdrecord working... frown

Let me just clarify, the is a Knoppix hard drive install?

Seems that I remember this also.

Where are the 2 files (cdrecord and cdrdao) located, either in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin? Most likely you need to run K3b as root.

Try this also. Become root in a console and type cdrecord --scanbus and see if you get any output. make sure that you leave a space between cdrecord and --scanbus.

If you do, and the CDRW is identified as 0,0,0 or something like that, try typing in k3b as root and see if you get the same error messages.

Finally, what version of K3b and KDE is on the system?

If need be, you can get a newer version of cdrecord and tools by adding a backport source to the sources.list file, assuming that you did not try to upgrade to sarge or sid with synaptic.

If it runs as root user, or you get a display error, you can make an icon to run K3b as root.

I can walk you through this, if this is the problem. But, I need to know what version of KDE that you are running.

Did you use the setup utility in kb3 'before' you tried to burn? I think I had similar problems when I tried to use kb3 the first time.

Also, you might want to start using "synaptic" to get a better overview in managing your packages. GUI interfaces do sometimes have advantages ;-).

Quote:
Let me just clarify, the is a Knoppix hard drive install?

Seems that I remember this also.

Where are the 2 files (cdrecord and cdrdao) located, either in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin? Most likely you need to run K3b as root.

Try this also. Become root in a console and type cdrecord --scanbus and see if you get any output. make sure that you leave a space between cdrecord and --scanbus.

If you do, and the CDRW is identified as 0,0,0 or something like that, try typing in k3b as root and see if you get the same error messages.

Finally, what version of K3b and KDE is on the system?

If need be, you can get a newer version of cdrecord and tools by adding a backport source to the sources.list file, assuming that you did not try to upgrade to sarge or sid with synaptic.

If it runs as root user, or you get a display error, you can make an icon to run K3b as root.

I can walk you through this, if this is the problem. But, I need to know what version of KDE that you are running.

I installed using Knoppix. I then used apt-get to do update, upgrade, and dist-upgrade. Apt-get now says that both of these have the newest version, but I cannot find either file for sure. I find one that calls itself cdrecord that is over 500 MB, but it is not an executable, the other is only 133 Bytes, and it is not executable either. I may try the backport, but I have a feeling that it won't work, because apt-get already thinks the programs are up-to-date. k3b is the newest version, it is running as root. I think KDE is version 3.2, but it is at least 3.1. My system finds the cdrom correctly, and I can view a CD properly. I appreciate your help, a lot. I am recording the Debian 30r2 disks, and I may have reinstalled by the time you read this. I will try the internet install first, then try the normal CDs. If neither of these two attempts work, I will go back to Knoppix hdinstall. Perhaps this will correct my problems. If not, I will be begging - again! Thanks! 8)

Quote:
Did you use the setup utility in kb3 'before' you tried to burn? I think I had similar problems when I tried to use kb3 the first time.

Also, you might want to start using "synaptic" to get a better overview in managing your packages. GUI interfaces do sometimes have advantages ;-).

Well, I had to run the setup utility in a terminal window, because it was not set to root. I then set up a link to run it as root. It still could not find cdrecord or cdrdao. Debian for some reason did not install synaptic the way I installed Debian. (see my reply to danleff to see how I installed.) I thank you for your reply. As I said to danleff, I am about to try reinstalling Debian the 'official' way. Perhaps that will clear things up... ;(

Quote:
You can apt-get k3b with Debian? Cool! You can't with RH 9.. that I know of..

Well, I'm not sure about getting it with apt-get. I installed through Knoppix, and I think it was there when I booted up, and before I updated, and upgraded. (It may have been installed during the up[censored] or upgrading.) I am about to reinstall, and I will be sure to check this time... 8)

I think I might see one of the issues here. If you did an apt-get upgrade, you may have upgraded to sarge or sid. apt-get upgrade is usually used to upgrade to sare or sid.

This all depends what Knoppix had in it's sourcees.list file.

Generally you can do update, but shouldn't do upgrade unless you wanted to change to sarge or sid.

Apt-get upgrade may have brokern k3b or cdrecord, if it was already installed for woody.

I'll have to look at my Knoppix apt source file to see what they have.

Did you do the re-install of Debian already?

Quote:

I had heard that Debian was the 'way to go', but, I simply don't have
the time to do a Debian 'build from scratch'. I decided to download
the Knoppix ISO, saw what a nice desktop, and decided to do a HD
install. Simple really. Alt-Ctrl-F1, then type 'knx-hdinstall'. I
understand now why Debian is so highly regarded. Knoppix isn't 100%
compliant with the Stock Debian, and there are some gotchas, but,
it's awful close.

I recently 'broke' my current build of Knoppix, but truthfully it is
more durable and stable than any other Distro that I've tried. Far
better than Mandrake or any other of the rpm style builds. I wouldn't
hesitate to recommend it as a starting point for a desktop, or whatever
other purpose. You have to be 'really' crazy and try 'really' hard to
'break' it. And, how else ya gonna learn ;-).

From an administration standpoint, it is a delight to setup, maintain,
and update. The apt utility is very reliable, and the Sylpheed graphical
interface gives you a very comprehensive view of the installed, available,
broken packages, as well as a bunch of other ways to view the data and
manage the packages and download sites. You can also do a lot of this
from command line with apt. for example, to get Sylpheed you'd just type
'apt-get install sylpheed'. I haven't seen any other Distro that manages
packages anywhere near as well.

From a company's viewpoint, it has the advantage of being free, as are
all of the Debian sources which it utilizes. Big selling point ;-)!
If you're trying to sell this to your boss, use the Knoppix/Debian, and
'not' Mandrake or one of the other rpm Distros!!!

Quote:

Sorry, Dapper, k3b comes on the Knoppix CD. I finally had to reinstall using the Knoppix CD, when both the 'regular' installs I did (one 'internet', the other using normal CDs) failed miserably!

BTW, can I get synaptic for Debian? If so, how useful is it?

K3b does work now, but I have not yet done the update/upgrade/dist-upgrade things with apt-get. What order should I do them in, and how should I change the sources.list?

I also have a problem with su - it won't work with my new user account. I haven't tried the 'knoppix' account yet. ;(

Quote:

I had heard that Debian was the 'way to go', but, I simply don't have
the time to do a Debian 'build from scratch'. I decided to download
the Knoppix ISO, saw what a nice desktop, and decided to do a HD
install. Simple really. Alt-Ctrl-F1, then type 'knx-hdinstall'. I
understand now why Debian is so highly regarded. Knoppix isn't 100%
compliant with the Stock Debian, and there are some gotchas, but,
it's awful close.

I recently 'broke' my current build of Knoppix, but truthfully it is
more durable and stable than any other Distro that I've tried. Far
better than Mandrake or any other of the rpm style builds. I wouldn't
hesitate to recommend it as a starting point for a desktop, or whatever
other purpose. You have to be 'really' crazy and try 'really' hard to
'break' it. And, how else ya gonna learn ;-).

From an administration standpoint, it is a delight to setup, maintain,
and update. The apt utility is very reliable, and the Sylpheed graphical
interface gives you a very comprehensive view of the installed, available,
broken packages, as well as a bunch of other ways to view the data and
manage the packages and download sites. You can also do a lot of this
from command line with apt. for example, to get Sylpheed you'd just type
'apt-get install sylpheed'. I haven't seen any other Distro that manages
packages anywhere near as well.

From a company's viewpoint, it has the advantage of being free, as are
all of the Debian sources which it utilizes. Big selling point ;-)!
If you're trying to sell this to your boss, use the Knoppix/Debian, and
'not' Mandrake or one of the other rpm Distros!!!

Sorry, dude, but believe me, sometimes you don't need to be crazy nor "try really hard" to break things in Knoppix/Debian! For example, look at my reply to Dapper Dan's post above. It shows a 'broken' thing that I did not do anything that could have broken it! My current version of Debian is good, there is no doubt of that, and your post is right on except for the lack of breaking things... :x

I know what you mean about the broken thing. On my wife's Toshiba Satellite laptop we installed Morphix-Gnome which is based on Knoppix, thus is Debian, and I made the mistake of doing an apt-get upgrade. Before, in "stable", her pcmcia Orinoco gold card worked without a hitch. After the upgrade, it wouldn't work at all! I know the folks at Debian get a lot of flack about their stable version being way behind the times, but often, I think they are right to stay with something that is known to work versus being cutting edge and having things break.

Maillion, you should be able to access synaptic by merely opening a terminal and as root going:

synaptic [enter]

It should come right up. If it doesn't, in a terminal as root go:

apt-get install synaptic [enter]

and that should install it.

k3b works for me, I did (as root):

addgroup burning

adduser username burning

chown root.burning /usr/bin/cdr*

chmod 4710 /usr/bin/cdr*

chmod g+r /usr/bin/cdrecord

[ ls -l /usr/bin/cdr*]

-rws--x-- 1 root burning /usr/bin/cdrdao

-rwsr-x--- 1 root burning /usr/bin/cdrecord

-rws--x--- 1 root burning /usr/bin/cdrecord.mmap

-rws--x--- 1 root burning /usr/bin/cdrecord.shm

[/ ls -l /usr/bin/cdr*]

no need to reboot, just logout and login again to update groups membership for username.

-----

Debian (Sid), kernel 2.4.24-1-k7

debs:

k3b 0.10.3-5, cdrdao 1:1.1.7-5, cdrecord 4:2.0+a26-1

-----

Thank you Gabriele.

I can confirm the above suggestion worked perfectly for my Knoppix HDD install.

I am running debian unstable.

I was getting the "cdrecord executable not found" error even though it was sitting visibly in the 'path'.

adding my user to the burning group and the rest of that fabulous bit of permission 'jigging' did the job.

again, thanks

regards

gyaresu

Good answer! I finally found this out in my sarge install. I took the easy way out. Created an icon on the desktop for K3b and elected to run it as root. This prompts you for your root pasword when envoked and the cdrdao and cdrecord permission messages are gone.

You should be able to solve the permissions thing by running k3bsetup2 from the kde control center. It gives you an option there of changing those permissions to run k3b as other than just root.

It seems I'm seeing k3b included in a lot of new versions of Linux distros now. It's such a good frontend that I think it will wind up being a standard Linux utility in most distros like Xmms is as a standard mp3/wav player. I tell my Windows friends that as far as burners go, k3b rules over all I've seen offered by Linux or Windows! It takes a little effort to get it running right, but once you do, it is such a pleasure to use! smile