Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Down8

DiabloII only working under Administrator account.

I have DiabloII installed just fine. Can play just fine, but only under adminstrator accounts. Problem isn't for me though, problem is for my family members, who are only members of the users group. I get errors about not being able to detect the CD in the drive, but it obviously can see the CD, since the auto-run works just fine, and I can browse its content with out trouble.

Anyone know what's up with this? I'd prefer not to promote all my family member's accounts to Administrators just for a game.

Thanks,

-bzj

hey man,

well, Diablo 2 requires administrative rights to play under windows 2000. says right on the box if you want to look.

darrylzero

Silly me. You'd be amazed at what you garner by reading the instructions, huh? I guess I should've went there for help first.

Thanks for the heads up,

-bZj

Diablo 2 tries to access the registry to get your reg code, and because User accounts can't access the registry, it gives you that error.

Hmmm... so then if I give the users that want to play Diablo access to the registry [can I give them access?], they would be able to play fine?

-bZj

it would play fine but I dont think you can give users specific access to the registry.

You can change rights to the registry:

launch regedt32.exe, select the key you want to give access to, go to security->permissions and assign the appropriate rights.

Hope this will help.

Well, that's good news.

The next question would be: where is the key that Diablo needs access to?

[i'll go looking for it now, but incase I don't find it, post away.]

-bZj

The game creates two main keys in the registry (besides the uninstall one) one under HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Blizzard Entertainment and another one under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ->Blizzard Entertainment.

Quote:

The game creates two main keys in the registry (besides the uninstall one) one under HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Blizzard Entertainment and another one under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ->Blizzard Entertainment.

Make that:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Blizzard Entertainment
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Blizzard Entertainment

All you have to do is add Administrator Rigth to the user account

& be done with it.

How do you mean SHS? I don't want the acocunt to have Administrator rights, since it's my 14 year old borthers account, and I don't want him to have the ability to mess something up.

-bZj

Assign your brother's account Administrator rights. Then go through the NTFS security and Local Policy Settings and remove/deny him access where appropriate. This leave the you administrators group and Administrator account in tact, but limit his capabilities. You may want to create a group to place his account in, just in case you want to use these same security settings for other accounts.

I am only going to say this based on what other people here have said with regards to D2; regarding the creation of keys.

IF THIS is the case then..it is relatively simple.

Give your brother ADMIN rights (wait till i finish)

quit game.

log off ..remove his admin rights and IF d2 works that way

it should then find the keys next time..provided it does not modify anything else.

I have not tried this since i am the only one on my computer.

That's worth giving a try - I'll play with it later tonight.

-bZj

D2 will still modify the registry during the game at least to unlock cinematics viewing from the menu. Maybe during other time but I never looked at it...

well,

been tried to allow a user account to run diablo 2, giving the account full control over battle.net and blizzard keys. i'm getting cannot find cd-rom messages when trying to run the game. anyone else have better luck?

darrylzero