Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chrispope

dual internet connections

How can I route internet traffic from two seperate network connections to my linux box. At any given time one connection WILL be down, no questions asked, (it's just that way, deal with it). My primary interface is eth0, a internal NIC Intel pro/100 (eepro100 kernel module, I think). My 'secondary' interface is wlan0, Intel pro/2100 wireless NIC (linuxant driverloader -ndis wrapper- with wind*ws drivers).

I can always do ifup-ifdown and get either interface ready for me to browse the internet, but that takes about 30 seconds that I don't like thinking about if I don't want a firewall, and if I do want my firewall -which I do!- preparing internet takes around 2 minutes to completely reconfigure the firewalls external interface. ATTENTION: The wifi does not use WAP authentification, so don't even go there when figuring this one out. I use the SuseFirewall2 preferably.

So... , I do use dhcp (sorry it's required) and there will always be one connection down. I'm running Suse Linux 9.0 pro and am very fluent in linux, so lay it on thick 'experts'.

Technical stuff: The computer is a toshiba satellite pro m15-s405 laptop with 512mb ram, 40gb hdd, 24-12-24-16 dvd-rom/cd-rw, 15.1" lcd screen, nvidia geforce2 420 32m video.

If you came to this hoping to help out a fellow linux user, sorry, I fixed my own problem.

The main thing was that I finally found the file containing info about all of the external interfaces and modified it to include both eth0 and wlan0.

I then created two scripts to ifup whichever interface I was running on at that time.