Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ancker

bootable win2k cd with NERO 5.5

I would like instructions on how to make a bootable Windows 2000 Pro, Server, and Advanced Server install cd.

and it HAS to be with NERO.

My company owns licenses to NERO and want me to come up with a 123..etc plan using nero so that others can do it.

i wont' be allowed to download cdrwin to do this. it all has to be done with NERO.

I know it sounds stingy. but thats the way they want it done.

please help.

Ancker Jade

As far as I know Nero doesn't support the Custom options that Cdrwin does. I will look again but from the tests that I have done it cannot be done. You could make the .ISO's with cdrwin and burn 'em with NERO. Just keep the fact that you use Cdrwin to MAKE the .Iso's secret.

Dang man. Must be a pretty stingy shop you work in. frown

Yeah. They want me to produce a set of step by step instructions on how to do this. So I cannot "secretly" use cdrwin to make the image. Because then my colleagues would not be able to reproduce it.

But I appreciate you saying you'll look into it.

I do know that NERO WILL allow bootable cd-roms, and you can set sectors and boot images.

Thanks for your help.

Ancker

Well if we can't figure out out to make the 2k cd's bootable the normal way. You could always use the floppy emu in Nero that way when you insert the CD. It boots from the CD but it reads a floppy image. You can then surf to the \i386\winnt.exe and install NT or stick that line into autoexec.

Obviously i'd like to do it the normal way.

But i guess as a last resort we can do it the floppy way.

I'll keep looking. As i hope you will too

thanks

Ancker

If you scroll along the options in nero you have a choice of ISO, Audio further down there should be an option for bootable. I'm going by memory now so I could be wrong

You can download the FREE, 1x version of cdrwin and use it to create your bootable image, then burn it with Nero. That's what I do.

You can also use WinImage to create ISO's, although, it doesnt have any custom options.

Either way, its a great tool if you handle as many boot disks and cd-roms as i do.

I see this was posted a while ago, but I have the same question.

I did find this link to make a bootable CD w/ sp3 slipstreamed, but I wanted a 2k only bootable CD and Nero was used:

http://www.bink.nu/bootcd/

How about doing this w/o the sp?

Thanks I will try that.

The reason I wanted it without sp3 is because I think there might be a problem with software fro a video card. It is a longshot, but I have run out of ideas and Asus isn't much help!

Are you talking about the installed image of the HDD or a copy of the install CD itself?

It can't be that easy!

a image of the original xp cd

i was playing around with the slipstreaming stuff that mr dosfreak posted.

after i slipstreamed xp sp1 (with winiso) and went to nero to burn it, nero recognised it as a bootable iso.

so that lead me to test just making and image in nero of the original xp build 2600 cd. when i burned the image it was bootable. i made several copies and they were all bootable.

accident?

i havent figured out why. ive never used anyting but nero until recently (alcohol 120/winiso)

btw alcohol 120% rocks

Unlike in the past, the newer versions of Nero and Roxio are quite a bit more intuitive when it comes to getting the job done. The boot sector for the 2000 (.bin file)is only if you don't have it. I too have had mixed results in creating bootable CDs for several operation systems. The instructions I referenced above have worked for me every time so that's what I use. It is possible I'm performing some unnecessary steps but they aren't hurting anything and they work. (Just my 2 cents ) smile

Whenever I make bootable CDs I use CDRwin to make the image and burn it with another program.