Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
POB/London

KDE Graphical E-Mail Client?

Hello! smile

Have just started using SuSE 8.1 Pro and KDE 3.0.3 at home, as my only OS 8) after years of fighting with various incarnations of Windoze.

My question is this: What can replace my old faithful Eudora? I spend hours working at an e-mail client screen, so it's gotta be good! I'm managing about 10 mailboxes and lots of complex threads of mail, with various attachments + file sharing. Diary features are not a must.

I reckon these are my options:

KMail - small, easy, very limited (no HTML composing) - good enough?

Opera M2 Mail - I browse with it, and it's pretty, but how powerful?

Ximian Evo - I'll have to upgrade to SuSE 8.2: worth it?

Some other thing I've never heard of - go on, educate me!

Cheers people. Hope you can help! 8) 8)

I use Kmail and Evolution. Kmail is simple and easy to configure, and has never crashed on me. Evolution is, in my opinion the best e-mail client of all I've tried, but it does tend to crash occasionally, with no loss of data. The features offered in Evolution make it worth it though. Especially since it is easy to kill if it freezes or won't start because it is still running. I also think Mozilla-mail is very good. If you already have Mozilla installed, it may also be available on your box. To find out, go to a terminal and type:

mozilla --mail [enter]

If it doesn't come up, it should be fairly easy to install.

If you like a light email client, there's Sylpheed and Balsa. There's also mutt, a command line email program.

I've tried most of them and think Evolution has the most to offer.

Thanks a lot!

I use Elm and Pine at work, so it's nice to get away from command-line softare if possible.... wink As for mozilla, I reckon the Opera client's just as good, if not better... and I've never really got on with that piece of software (bad experiences a few years ago!).

So, looks like I should try and get started with upgrading to SuSE 8.2 (or even 9.0). I emailed their support people, who said that the support period for 8.1 has now expired. They suggested getting a professional to install 9.0, or getting a walk-through from a bulletin board. smile

I agree with you about Kmail - nice & stable, but I have a couple of problems. Firstly, I can't get attachments to be handled properly by the mail server - they get converted to text, no matter what format they're sent in, Grrr.

The other problem is attached. If it wasn't for this issue (which incidentally involves my mail sending persona), I would be reasonably happy to use Kmail for the foreseeable future.

Mail_Error.jpg

frownfrownfrownfrown

I haven't used it extensively, but you might want to have a look at Balsa too. It may get you through until the upgrade. smile

I'm using Sylpheed-claws, and it may be light, but it's certainly not a lightweight ;-). Kind of a cross between Eudora and TheBat!. I should certainly work for the kind of situation you describe. Good search capibilitys, support for multiple boxes, templates, macros, and, a bunch of other features. Worth a download.