Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MikeCh

[DivX] I've just about had it

I'm using a pretty average setup. P3 700 mhz, GeForce video card, Hercules Crystal Audio based sound card (Game Theater XP). And all goes well except for one thing, DivX.

I have installed the codecs, which means, yes, the alpha too. I thought it might be SP2 or something I installed, so I reformatted today after backing up and immediately installed my multimedia drivers without security patches or anything.

I thought it was related to "The Playa" which I've heard has problems, another reason I reformatted.

I still have no or bad sound (depends on video). Arrgh. frown

Anyone else got a problem like this? shocked

That what you get win you start playing a round with heck codec

sorry I never did like DivX in the frist place better off stick with Real codec like MPEG, WMV, QT, AVI

I have a p3700, GF2, SB Live Platinum Plus 1394 and Win2k SP1 and I have no real troubles with any divx movie.

DiVX often has very low sound levels, so if you're using a shitty speaker setup (I have no idea if you do or not) you need to crank it up HEAPS! which could explain your shitty sound quality probs. I run my sound through my SB live and an amp, so volume & quality aren't an issue for me. If the movies you are watching are propper group releases, you generally don't have any problems, other than the sound levels. I could be totally off the mark, but give it a think about.

Actually, I'm starting to wonder if it's because of my sound card, a Hercules Game Theater XP.

Better than the SBLive though. I hate the 300% louder volume, but no DivX kinda sucks.

Hmm...I don't have any problems with my Divx movies. I make my own Divx movies. I use Divx Alpha 3.11 codec and FlaskMpeg version .594. I know there is a new Divx codec and FlakMpeg out there and I have tried them and I don't like them. The sound in the movie turned out crappy. I don't have problem with low volume with the low volume because I edit the sound with CoolEdit and amplify it like 300% and save it back to the movie with Virtual Dub. smile

My system spec:

Windows 2000 Server Edition w/ Service Pack 2

PIII-933 w/ 512 mb PC-133

Geforce 2 GTS

SB Live!

Like Ekstreem I also run my sound through a SB Live and an amp. The volume in Divx movies is typically lower when I play back a movie, but I think that's normal. Sometimes you just get shitty quality Divx movies too. I've played some that were barely watchable and others that looked better than my TV. It all depends on the quality of the movie I guess.