Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pikey

Bad Clusters....the beginning of the end?

Hi

I recently reverted to Windows 2000 after running a Win98/Win2K dual boot. I have a damn near brand new 30GB IBM hard disk, and i used the IBM drive fitness tools to run a LLF to clear the drive in preparation for the NTFS format.

However, on NTFS formatting 92% of the disk it got stuck in a kind of repetetive groove. So, i rebooted and ran the fitness test which detected "bad sectors". I then ran the wipe and this "corrected" the bad sectors, and then allowed the NTFS format and install of Windows 2000.

Since installing SP2 on my system, the bad sector issue reappeared when i attempted a defrag with Norton Speedisk. I ran a full check disk which ran into the same 'repetetive groove' syndrome, and ,then reported that it had corrected three bad clusters on my disk.

All is now fine (again), but does this mean that i should be gearing up for another hard disk purchase?

Is my disk going rotten? I've only had it for three months!

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Wow.

This is an issue I am interested in myself. I have three friends who have purchased an IBM drive made from Holland. All of these owners have experiences blue screens. System halts, and lock ups when running scan disk or defrag. Is it possible that some drives can be manufactured badly? By doing a search on google I noticed it's become common. Especially with a batch of IBM drives. Your problem is the drive I am almost certain of it. Try to persist as the people I mentioned are now experiencing these problems less frequently.

I have lost 5 drives in my time. Not one of them was from bad sectors but in fact a mechanical failure. The arm drops and is unable to read the disk.

I have lost 2 fujitsu drives. 2 Quantums mad and 1 Western digital.

All from mechanical failure. I am now using a Seagate.

yeah it sounds like a bad batch of drives. I would call IBM and RMA the drive because if it is 3 months old and has bad sectors it is bound to fail pretty soon. Ive heard from a lot of people they have had bad experiences with HDs. Ive never had a problem with WD or Maxtor drives and when my Maxtor did fail they sent me a larger HD in return for my broken one.