Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shamrock

Please help me solve this problem!

I have this aweful and annoying problem playing games in Win2k, here is the scenario...

I buy Win2k, and install it with NTFS system. I start installing my games that I play regularly, everything is great. (This is a gaming machine) When I start playing Nascar4, Grand Prix Legends,Nascar3, Star Trek: Elite Force, Mobil 1 Rally Champ,Tribes 1 & 2, Mechwarrior 4, F1 Champ 2000 demo, Baldur's gate 1 & 2, I get a 5-7 second freeze, Hard drive, sound, video, EVERYTHING locks up for about 5-7 seconds, then comes back, this happens like every 10 minutes or so, HOWEVER....Age of Empires 2 and Ultima Online: rennaisance does NOT do anything, they run perfect, and run that way for hours and hours.

I have tried wiping the drive, and installing Win98 (runs without hesitation), I then wipe it again and re-install Win2k under FAT32 system, and it reduced the freeze to about 4-6 seconds ( i time them yes!) This is what I am currently using. I have tried other forums, and I get responses like...You need more RAM, you had a bad install (twice?), get an Intel (a flame of course)...

Can someone tell me what is happening? Is the OS accessing the page file? do I need new Ram? I have tried 11.01, 12.00 , 12.20, 6.50, and 7.58 det drivers, I have tried DirectX7a, Directx 8, and Directx8a. I have used SB Live drivers from CD, from Win2k, and from liveware 3 download. I had Win2k SP1, and SP2, tried both of those. Well, you get my picture, I've tried about everything (including patches for the games). I have tried the compatability modes, too. Here are my specs, and tell me what could be the problem?

1 Ghz Athlon T-bird

Epox 8KTA2 (Socket A)

Enlight Case (4 5.25, 3 3.5)

128MB Crucial PC133 cas2 (7ns)

Asus V7700 GeForce2 GTS 64MB DDR

SoundBlaster Live! Value

Western Digital 20.5 GB (ATA/66) 7200RPM

Plextor 12x/10x/32x A

Logitech iFeel (Optical)

Microsoft Internet Pro Keyboard

HP 3400Cse scanner

Linksys network (5 port)

Thrustmaster Formula T2 Steering Wheel (w/ pedals)

15" CTX monitor

1.44 MB Floppy

Windows 2000 SP2

Thank you,

Shamrock

Here's something that might be helpful:

http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon-duron/amd_win2k_patch.html

I keep this file saved, cuz I need it everytime. It has to do with gaming under an AMD Athlon or Duron cpu under Win2k.

Also, what Via 4-in-1 drivers do you have? I personally use the 4.29s, and they work great.

That doesn't sound like a ram problem, although you could swap it out just to check, you still should be running okay. I would suggest that you bump it up a little to 256 megs as soon as possible.

If it's not, get a 300 Watt power supply.

Also, have you tried taking out the SBLive and running the games?

If you have something in PCI slot 1 try to put it in a different slot and see what happens. Ive heard of problems with PCI 1 and the AGP slot related to an IRQ.

Hope this helps. The config looks good, try that patch off AMD' site and then go from there.;)

Only an idea are you playing the games from the cd ie; you need to have the cd in the drive for the games to run !!!

Not all of them you don't, but yes, I have the CD in regardless if it's needed ro not :P

Sham

Ive had this problem with games when there accessing the data on cd rom that the game freezes for a few seconds the best way round this if this works for you.Is to get a nocd patch for your games from www.gamecopyworld.com apply the nocd patch and play the games directly from the hard drive its worth a try !!! laugh

Windows 2000 Application Compatibility Update May 2001

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/

It say March 2001 download it anyway

Rigth Click on the Shortcut go to properties then the tab Compatible check "Run in compatible mode" and choese Windows95/98/NT Compatible Layer OK.

Give that a try.

he said he already tried compatability modes. One thing i would do is check all your drives and make sure they are in DMA mode not PIO mode. Also i would assume you have a 300watt PSU because all Duron and T-birds need one to run right. I would say the problem though lies in your IDE channels.

Yes ThC 129 I know what he said but he maybe try use the older one from support cab.

Shamrock Sorry to hear about your problems.

I probably will get pounded for this but here it goes.

First. Were you using this Win 98 on this GAMING MACHINE before, and if so did you have these problems while running them under win 98???

Second. Why did you switch to Win 2000, which I belive was brought out primaraly for the business community to replace NT 4.0 and not designed with the gamming industry in mind. ( im ducking now)

Would it not be better to stick with Win 98 if your machine is strictly for gamming like you stated in your post.

Hope everything works out.

Regards

Joe smile

I'll try and answer everyone's questions in one post, so here goes...

I have the VIA 4in1 v 4.31.

I have tried no CD patches for some of them, and others I just can't find.

I switched to Win2k for a couple reasons. I found an OEM version for $132, and heard good reviews about it,so I bought it.

I've tried Win98, AND WinME and had no problems with either one relating to games (that isn't to say I didn't have other problems i.e. BSOD's)

Yes I tried all compatability modes, both off the CD, from SP2, and the update.

Yes, I have a 300w power supply AMD approved, it comes standard with my Enlight case smile

Yes I tried taking out my SBLive! and playing games, still does, I even tried switching them around to different slots, and o, I never use PCI slot 1, as I knew about it sharing an IRQ with the AGP slot.

Could it be my hard drive going bad? I also flashed my BIOS about 3 days before I bought Win2k, should I flash it back? (it is an important FLASH, as it corrects errors with SBLive!) The Flash changed from KT133 chipset, now it boots up as KT133/E, should I change that back?

I guess I'll go ahead and buy the RAM, as it's only $36 for PC133 (128MB).

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help. I'm not a newbie and this had me stumped as well. In fact, I build PC's for others and have no probs. :\

Shamrock

You could also try to up your page file and see what that does. Have it set between 1.5 to 2 times your amount of RAM. I'm not sure if this helps, but, hey, it's not like you've got anything to lose.

I personally have a 1GB partition set aside for the swap file/pagefile/virtual memory (whatever you want to call it), but this is something that works for me.

Another thing I thought of is in what order you installed your drivers. I've heard it's best to install the Via 4-in-1's first, reboot, then start installing the other drivers and apps and games afterwords.

I have my page file set to Initial: 192mb and Maximum 384MB

I had to install a zip program before I installed the VIA 4in1's, but then I installed them first thing, then SP2, I can't remember the rest frown

Sorry, my memory is bad hehehe

Sham

Intel rules.

Amd may be cheap, but nothing comes close to the compatibility of Intel.

AMD has been in business almost as long as Intel, but they haven't been making cpu's for quite as long. AMD has done a lot for the market, in terms of making the cpu's cheap. Compatibility means jack right now, since AMD has 3DNow! and MMX. Plus, the Athlon 4 has SSE instructions, so there is even less of an issue. To some people, buying Intel is worth it, but for many, AMD is just as good, and cheaper to boot, but that does vary on a configuration. If you're worried sick over the issue of burning up your cpu, go Intel right now. If in doubt, buy Intel, but there really is no compatability issue with AMD cpu's in general. It ends up being chipsets too you know. Intel does have better chipsets than AMD. AMD is being smart to make there own chipset instead of relying on Via. If Via screws up, AMD will be hurting. Intel doesn't have that problem, so long as they, or SiS or ALi produce a decent chipset.

I just thought I'd straighten things out first, and also, I'd like to say, no flame wars about AMD and Intel. You have your cpu, I have mine. Go with what you want.

What procedure did you take in installing the 4 in 1s? Normally it is safest to install them one by one. OH yeah, in games do you have EAx enabled? I remember I tried forcing EAx support in Unreal tournament and I would get those lock ups too. It has to do w/ insufficient driver quality of lw3.

Valkerie,

I installed them all at once, I didn't think it mattered to install them one at a time! I have tried both forcing EAX, and disabling it as well, the only other options I have, is to re-flash my BIOS< or get more RAM, and RAM is gonna be ordered Tuesday

Thanks for all your help guys.

Shamrock

Well guys, I finally got my RAM in, and ALL my problems have ceased. Before I got my ram, it gobbled up 86MB of memory on bootup!, that was my problem, it was accessing the pagefile too frequently. After the install of my RAM, not a thing is wrong with it...NOTHING! all games work, etc.

My point? Win2k loves eating RAM, so if you decide to upgrade to Win2k...get AS MUCH as possible! I now have 384MB smile

Thanks for your help.

Shamrock