Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
khunphil

Install Mandrake 9.2 AFTER Redhat 9 in dual boot

Hi,

I have a PC with 2 x 40 Go disks, one and half are used with Redhat 9, and I have 20 Go left unformatted on my second one.

My Redhat 9 is in production, so I must take care not to loose it !

Is there any risk to install Mandrake 9.2 using Drakx with "Use Free space" option, or is it better to use manual partitioning ?

Will Mandrakel "see" my RH grub.conf file and add automatically mandrake inside... or do I have to save it before ?

Any experience or any try or information, please just drop a message.

Thanks by advance for your precious help.

Philippe, Chiangmai, Thailand.

Quote:
Hi,
I have a PC with 2 x 40 Go disks, one and half are used with Redhat 9, and I have 20 Go left unformatted on my second one.
My Redhat 9 is in production, so I must take care not to loose it !

Is there any risk to install Mandrake 9.2 using Drakx with "Use Free space" option, or is it better to use manual partitioning ?

Will Mandrakel "see" my RH grub.conf file and add automatically mandrake inside... or do I have to save it before ?

Any experience or any try or information, please just drop a message.

Thanks by advance for your precious help.

Philippe, Chiangmai, Thailand.

Do a back up of all the data you have on the drive with free space. Do the install. Mandrake will give you a choice of how to partition and format the free space. I would backup that grub config file just in case. If mandrake fails to see RH, then you can replace the bad one. Be sure not to replace Grub with lilo, the mandrake default. I have never used Grub, so you may want to wait until someone who has gives you some info on this. I can't remember in any of my Mandrake installs where it actually gave me a choice as to which bootloader, but I always wanted lilo anyway, so I didn't pay any attention. I have never had any problems with the installer partitiion tool, but backup anything you my need regardless! 8)