Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arch

Auto Check Disk?

Is there any way to turn off the automatic chkdsk if Windows 2000 doesnt shut down correctly? I know there's a way to do it in Win9x, but I'm not sure of the procedure in Windows 2000.

Thanks..

Arch

Forgive me for second-guessing you, but probably the last thing you should do is to disable the AUTOCHK and subsequent automatic running of CHKDSK at boot time if W2K isn't shutting down properly.

However, it can be done.

Type the command "chkntfs /?" (no quotes) at a CMD prompt. The switch you're looking for is the "/x" switch. Running "chkntfs /d" will restore normal behavior.

Regards,

Jim

Dont get me wrong here. Windows 2000 is shutting down just perfectly. There's just those few times where something hoses up, or my computer locks up or something goofy like that. Personally, I prefer Windows 9x scandisk to NT's chkdsk. I actually like to know whats going on when it scans my computer.

Arch

Yes, I'm running a FAT32 partition. I prefer to keep it FAT in case some day I need to do anything to my data from a DOS environment. I know there's utilities to read NTFS from DOS, but I find that FAT32 is just easier in the long run.

Thanks..

Arch