Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mike Zamarocy

Anyone else having strange problems after SP2?

When I play Rainbow6 Rogue Spear, after a while of playing, if I select load plans in the setup phase, my system completely reboots! But I have had a lot of other probs as well - Outlook slow as snail mail, Outlook Express taking forever to download messages, system slowing down and behaving erratic. IE5.5 taking forever to connect to a website, and even my pings in online games seem way slower and unstable.

I wonder, has anyone tried to uninstall SP2 to revert back to SP1? Or is it a mess like trying to revert back to IE5.5 from that junk IE6?

SP2 installs fine, so far no problems and if anything the stytem is a tad faster, I have even lost a lot of the clicking distorted noises from my SB Live 1024 crap card at last so I'm happy, am I the only one.

Ps all games tried so far no problems

AMD K6III 450

256K RAM

Voodoo 5 5500 (3dfx drivers 1.04)

VIA 4.29 4in1

etc, etc.

Wow! The only thing I have EVER noticed with either Win2k service pack, and only SP2, is that UT takes a looong time to load between maps, but that's it. Everything runs, even my CD-Burner.:D

Outlook Express Loads Very Slowly

A new cause for slow performance when starting OE in WinXP is the integration of Windows Messenger. Is Messenger starting when Windows starts? If so, then the cause of OE's performance hit is something else. If it is *not* running at startup, then OE is probably launching Messenger and waiting for it to fully initialize before it continues initializing OE itself.

To prevent OE from launching Messenger, click Tools>> Options and remove the check mark for "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger". Then add a check mark for "When starting, go directly to my "Inbox" folder". Then click View>> Layout and remove the check mark for "Contacts". If you open the Contacts pane, or if you open the OE start page, then Messenger will launch in order to update the online status of your contacts.

Hope this helps it did for me,

Have fun

This thread was originally for Windows 2000 Service Pack 2...not Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Originally posted by dosfreak:

Quote:
This thread was originally for Windows 2000 Service Pack 2...not Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Priceless

Has anyone else noticed a recent trend of new people with only a couple of posts to their name answering threads that are months or years old?

Strange.

AndyF

Yep, unfortunately... Maybe it would be nice if there was a warning stating, "This thread is over xx months old, do you really wish to create a new post?"

Ai, and some of them never reply to a question so you never know if you helped them or not. And of course the 'asking for serials' thing at the moment.