Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hawkman

Dual Boot removing C:\Millenium

This is for my home system. Presently I have Millenium on C: and W2K on E:. I would like to delete Millenium and go back to (problem free) Win98SE. Problem is that C: is my system drive and W2K will not work if I format C:. Suggestions? I have a backup image of W98 from another computer I would like to install on this computer. What would be the best solution to this delima? Save all system files (ntdetect, ntldr, boot.ini, etc...) from C:, delete Windows millenium files, then with a clean C: (except w2k files) install Win98 from scratch, or install Win98 on a seperate partition and keep millenium, or save all W2K files and then reinstall W98 image? Thanks... Oh yea, I also have current ERD w2k disks and complete backup files for W2K. Can I just format C: and reinstall the image from W98? And then use the ERD to put the proper files in place?

I think you can just format your c:, install win98. Then boot your comp from the win2k cd-rom and choose the repair option. I think it will put your system files back on c: and make a boot-menu. But let somebody else confirm that before trying it as i'm not completely sure it works. I never tried it myself.

Yeah, reformat and reinstall, then run the repair option, or Win2k will go bye-bye from booting.