Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
three

DNS Questions

K, this is the problem. I am on a network at work where the internet gateway is on a Win98 box :P and I am on a Win2k box accessing the internet via a proxy server. I have pop/http/socks/ftp access on the 2k box, however when I go into the command prompt, or dos (in other client win98 boxes), I can't ping any IP or Domains outside the LAN. I was wondering what steps I would need to take in order to acheive this.

Basically, at the moment, I'm trying to access my box at home via VNC and I think because it can't access the IP address it won't let me connect.

Any info or links would be appreciated.

Ping and VNC (along with all of the other apps out there) use ports to get around on TCP/IP. What you need are the port numbers to open up on your proxy server. Find those ports, make sure they are open, and you should be fine. If you are connecting outward from your LAN, then you *shouldn't* need to forward the ports from the proxy to your workstation.

In addition, how is your PC at home connected to the Internet? Is it behind a NAT/PAT scheme as well? If so, make sure that not only the ports in question are open, but that they are forwarded to the PC in question.

at work i'm behind 2 proxy servers (both are freeware:p ) I have AnalogX for HTTP/POP/SMTP/FTP and Jana for Socks5. How do I find out what ports the apps are using? For example ping, tracert, nslookup and vnc. At home I'm connected via Cable Modem, not behind any proxy and at work we are connected via DirectPC. I can connect via vnc from the server machine at work to my home pc without a problem. The problem lies with the proxy server.

FTP uses port 21.

VNC uses ports 5800+ for connecting and its web client, and 5900+ once you have connected.

I seem to remember something about a ports database :D, or a link to be added to the front page.. but alas, nothing has been done.

Oh, and "netstat" will show you what ports applications are using. Just run it on a Command Prompt.

--Cynan.

FTP uses port 21 and _another_ port for data delivery once the client and server have negotiated for the other port. If the server is behind a NAT/PAT device, you may have to go to "passive" mode so the client can dictate the other port rather than the server.

I wish I could get NAT to work, but seems it's not compatible with DirecPC ver. 2.1 and the damn ISP won't provide me with the upgrade even though Hughes has a fix to get Win98 NAT working. I'm just afraid it's not compatible since it's an english version and I'm here in Taiwan. That's the thing, you get advantages (cheap hardware) and then the disadvantages...anyways, I'm off the subject here:p

I guess I'll figure out the ports myself when I go into work today. I would like to find a way to get Java to work behind a firewall (yahoo chat) that way I can goof off at work, hehe.

Anyways, thks for the info guys.