Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Darod

please walk me through dual boot

i just got my 1.33 tbird with 512 megs of ddr ram in without an os on it- because i thought i could handle a dual os setup on my own- i fdisk then partioned it 50 50 for 98 and 2k but 2k took over- any way it doesnt even work right- do i need to install all drivers on 98 first- where is the os boot up choice when i turn on my computer?- how can i change the partition to 25/ 75% for 2k? ahhh! too much, ok thanks guys-

! Damian 8)

Well to repartition your hard drive you can either A.) Reformat it the way you want it and reinstall from scratch; or B.) go buy a partition utility, like Partition Magic 6.0.

Win2k should automatically setup the bootloader by default, but check to see if you have it enabled.

Heres how to do that: Right click on MY COMPUTER, go to Properties,Advanced, Startup and Recovery. There, make sure the box for "Display a list of Operating Systems for xx seconds" is checked. Also, you can set which OS you want to be the default.

If that doesnt work, try running the repair option off the Win2k CD. Boot off of it like you would to install, except instead of hitting 'Enter' to install, hit 'R' to repair (no quotes). Just choose the Fast repair,'F', and have Win2k CD look for the Win2k install by hitting 'L' after that.

It shouldnt matter if you install all the drivers in 98 first though.

I havent used Fdisk in a looooong time. I prefer to be a sissy and use the Maxtor Max Blast floppy to partition my drives. You can only partition them as FAT16 (I dont know why in today's uses) or FAT32, and you just need a 98 startup disk for the system files.

Just to check: You do have both partitions as FAT32 right? If you dont that could be your problem, but Im not really sure thats correct, but the same filesystem on a multiboot with Windows helps a great deal.

Your situation brings back many sleepless nights. Here is what to do if I were you and this is only for home. Format the entire hard drive, using the 50/50 %, install Win98 first on c:, This is important! Get win98 up and running good. Then install a clean W2K, but choose the option at installation that asks you where you want it installed. Do not choose default. Then tell it to install on the other partition, probably D:, and let it install. The system files (boot-ini, ntldr, ntdetect, etc...) will be (required) on C:, but W2K will be on D:. Should be all set then. Let me know how it goes.

allright hawkman- got it everything is copasetic but Aftereffects 5.0 just wants to keep crashing uggh- well ill get it. Thanks alot again-Damian ;( laughwink