Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Exorcist

Dxr3 Problem

For some reason, my Creative Dxr3 doesn't work anymore.

It stopped working at some point, trying to load it up makes it show some message like "This program encounters an error trying to initialize the decoder device. Ensure it's plugged in, etc".

It's obviously plugged in, it was working earlier today after formatting the damned thing. At first I thought it was something to do with a service used by software I'd installed, but I can't seem to track it down....I don't want to format it again, so anyone got any ideas?

-Ex

-------

Athlon 700

256mb PC133 Ram

Windows 2000 : Service Pack 2

GeForce 2 GTS 64mb

Sb Live Platinum

I have had exactly the same problem, after no changes my card doesn't work. I think it means the card is bust as i have put it in another machine and it didn't work. If you unstall hollywood plus drivers it comes up with an error saying the driver is not installed and then it is allready in use.

Sorry

Tom

I managed to track the problem down, finally.

It's ctfmon.exe, seemingly, not entirely certain what it is. It was set to start-up on power-up, shutting it down didn't seem to have any adverse affect, and the DVD Player worked fine afterwards.

However, on reboot again, even though ctfmon.exe hadn't started up, the problem had returned, starting ctfmon.exe up and then shutting it down fixed it again.

But I'm still uncertain as to why it would have the effect of fudging up my DVD player, seeing as it's nothing to do with it that I can see.

Strange ;(

so stfmon.exe is that a service (win2k) or a task running in the background? where did you et to shut it down?

Tom

It's something that's in the standard registry "microsoft/windows/run/program.exe" setup so it start's up on startup.

Like I say, I'm not sure exactly what it does, and I can't see it in the services listings (Yeah I know, I was careful when fiddling with things I didn't know laugh ), so it just seems to be a service in the background.

Can't say your problem will be connected, but that seems to be mine.

Now, I've worked out what the problem is, if only I can work out why it's doing it ;(

You are a genius :-) thank you i had given up hope but after stopping that process it worked again. Found out anything else yet?

Many Thanks

Tom

Well, I do know the exact piece of software that seemed to be causing it now.

Do you have Office installed? - if so, which version?

Yep office xp, i managed to delete all traces of ctfmon, and in the registry and it now works fine. It could work for you as well.

Tom

A-ha laugh

I thought so, Office 2k and others just leave the language bar as internat.exe, or something like that, which didn't seem to affect my DVD if I recall.

Installing Office XP seemed to update all that and call it ctfmon.exe, which then fudges up the DVD. I'm not sure I'd delete all traces of it in the registry, but if it worked for you, and your PC hasn't blown up, I may give it a go laugh

Interestingly, I contacted Creative, and they said they had no intention of releasing non-beta drivers because of a known issue between Windows 2000 and AC3, no idea if SP2 fixed that. If not, still no proper drivers frown

OK i deleted all traces of it. Then when loading up explorer/office t repaired itself (needing the cd) so it looks like it wont cause any harm to office (after repairing itself). As for the dvd player it then worked fine after (i think) i will try again when i am home (i am not so sure now you have said that).

Also have you tried using the hollywood plus drivers and app (version 2) as these are ALOT less buggy. If you want to give them a try there are some procedures to follow, i can post them if you like?

Tom

I did the same, pretty much, when I messed around with ctfmon.exe. I decided it may be best to run the repair option and it's back there on startup now laugh

I haven't tried the Hollywood Plus Drivers for some time to be honest, whilst I was waiting for the Creative drivers probably last year. Would I have to uninstall the Creative ones?

Go ahead and post 'em, I may give em a go laugh - if they're better than the Creative "things"

you will have to change the creative driver (for the hollywod plus one) but you can leave the creative app loaded (although it wont work).

download these:

http://www.uk-dvd.freeserve.co.uk/ukdvdfiles/hollyplus2k/hp_20_k2.exe

http://www.uk-dvd.freeserve.co.uk/ukdvdfiles/hollyplus2k/hp_20_k1.exe

you can install the drivers as normal but when installing the player you need to put replace the setup.ins file. i have this at home and will send it to you later.

then you need to start remote selector and use that to start the dvd station. If you dont you will get an error message and the player wont work.

will send the file later

Tom

P.S. if you want to use the creative player you just have to change the driver back.