Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Asghar

svhost.exe - running twice in Task Manager.?

Can anyone please offer some advice. What does it do and why is it running twice. Taking up over 10,000K of memory.

I have recently installed SP2, did not notice it before that.

I'm downloading SP2 right now, 56k, ackkkkkk, anywho, I noticed earlier today, weird, that svchost is running twice, right now mines only taking up 4mb of ram, but still why 2, so I ask the same question, yet answer one of your own, SP2 is not a fault, maybe SP1 ;(

-Amnesiac

Thanks, maybe it was listed twice before I installed SP2, I did not notice it.

One takes up 3,200K and the second 7,200K, a lot of memory.

that is normal guys.

Nothing to worry about. I can't remember why, but svchost.exe needs to be running in two seperate processes.

Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that are run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). The Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. There can be multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and debugging.

Svchost.exe groups are identified in the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost

Each value under this key represents a separate Svchost group and is displayed as a separate instance when you are viewing active processes. Each value is a REG_MULTI_SZ value and contains the services that run under that Svchost group. Each Svchost group can contain one or more service_names extracted from the following registry key, whose Parameters key contains a ServiceDLL value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Service

"Each instance of Svchost process [you see in Task Manager] launches a list of services. Multiple instances of Svchost.exe can run at the same time. Four or five instances of svchost.exe is normal. If you want to see what services are run by each Svchost process:

For XP Professional, using the Tasklist command:

1. Click Start, Run and type cmd

2. Type Tasklist /svc >C:\TaskList.txt

3. The TaskList.txt will contain the services list (launched by each Svchost process)"