Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ironman666

service pack files

Hey everyone. this is a simple question. i just installed service pack 2. i noticed that there is a directory in my windows directory called "service pack files". is it safe to delete all the contents of this directory? it'd be nice if they could be deleted cause that would give me about 150 megs back smile

-syed

Safe to delete? Yes.

Do you want to delete them? Maybe, but only if you aren't having problems with the new update, and won't need to uninstall it.

-bZj

Safe to delete if you like reinstalling the SP every time you do a function that requires installation of a SP. You CAN safely delete the hidden/compressed ServicePack dir tho. (The uninstall directory that houses the previous SP)

What functions require reinstall of the sp2? I'd really like to delete this folder. If I need to reinstall the service pack later can I just re-run the original w2ksp2.exe ?

The \winnt\ServicePackFiles\i386 directory is used by the System File Checker / Windows File Protection to restore files should they be corrupted. If it doesn't find the file there, it will then try \winnt\system32\dllcache. In theory then, deleting the files should not be a problem, but do not quote me on that!

DosFreak: do you mean the WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$ directory? I can delete that without hassles? I'm quite happy with SP2 so I don't think I need to uninstall. But I should keep the WINNT\ServicePackFiles directory?

couldn't you just move the files in the ServicePackFiles directory into the system/dllcache directory? yes you can delete the $NtServicePackUninstall$ if you don't want to uninstall the service pack

Where did you get win2000 sp2 from? It doesn't seem to be on the Microsoft website.

i have disabled system file protection and deleted all the contents of dllcache to save space. from what i've read, if SFP isn't running then the winnt/service pack files/i386 contents can be deleted. if someone can verify that then let me know...i'm only doing this to save space, that is all.

-Syed Ahmad