Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cardinal

I am loving Office Xp. But........

Well someone said Office from version 95 onwards is all the same.

Aesthetically it might be similar, but underneath it is not at all.

Word 2002 (XP) makes even writing essays a pleasure, (almost). I can't comment on stability issues yet. I have not used PowerPoint, FrontPage seems more of the same but Excel has also seen a lot of changes. As much as I hate promoting a Microsoft product this is miles ahead of any other 'Office' alternative.

There is one problem that bothers me. I basically have to leave the Office cd in my cd rom drive as it asks to read from it almost every damn time I load an Office program! This is not for legality reasons but rather to install some new, unnamed component of Word, Excel or Outlook. Why is this? It's bullsh1t. It does not tell me what it is installing, or if I want to or not. The only option is to cancel. Is this Microsoft’s pathetic attempt to save hard disk space? It's crap. I should be able to install the program then bury the cd. Or at least put it away. This is almost like leasing the Office program, but not from the net, from the phucking cd!

Pathetic Microsoft, absolutely pathetic.

Addenum:

Other things that suck;

1) Word considers 'cd' a spelling error.

2) Spell check takes 30 seconds to actually begin working. (Forget about a quick email anymore)

- card

Interesting.

I installed Office XP, and put the disk away, and it hasn't asked for it again since. Perhaps this is because I selected the "Install All" type option, as I rarely select any other option when installing programs or other things.

On limited usage at the moment, it does seem a little like previous Office versions with an improved facade. Of course, further usage may highlight other, less obvious, improvements. laugh

I have not run into the problem as you have stated. But I agree with you about Office XP making writing essays, labs, or cover letters alot more enjoyable. Then pull down menus that appear is fantastic. Giving a pull down menu for the specific thing you are doing at that specific moment is the best idea office has seen since the tool bar.