Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cardinal

Can not send files through ANY instant messaging program.

Hi guys.

The title of this thread might seem foolish and it may even lead you to believe the 'postee' is a newbie but I assure you this is a genuine concern.

I do not have a firewall installed. I do not have any anti-virus programs installed. I have not added any port specification and/or blocking (under my internet connection settings) In fact I have not really tweaked my network settings at all. That is to say, the settings have been put back to default since this problem began.

The problem is, using ICQ, MSN messanger, MIRC or any other messanging program I am unable to send or receive files from other users. I don't get any unusual error message, other then 'A connection could not be established' Has anyone else suffered from this problem? I can not send any files at all, only text. And text goes through fine. I have not changed the settings in any of these programs. Everything is default. I am sure there is either something to do with my ISP (cable ISP) or a network setting.

I just can't seem to figure this one out. It's damn annoying.

Any ideas?

Regards,

- Card.

Yep

Im behind a linux router and had to set up ICQ specially.

There is a firewall tab in there where you can select it to look for a port.

ICQ Button --> preferences --->Connections ---> Firewall

ICQ Button --> preferences --->Connections ---> Server

Under this auto configure and set the proxy up.

I am thinking about ditching my router though. Even with small tweaks in the linux code, it is still hard to connect to bnet and when it is connected, its slow as all heck.

As far as MSN messenger goes, i havent sent any files through that, but mIRC I cannot receive files. Its reall annoying!!!