Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pjfuller

Windows 9x & NT networking.

ARGH.... frown

I had 2 windows 9x machines before this, i could share a printer, files or whatever with ease. I for some reason can't share files and printers correctly. I have TCP/IP install on machines, i know the network is functioning correctly, i can paste files from the win 98 machine to the an NT shared folder. I can't view anything from the NT to the 98 side, shared drives, directories or the printer.

I've tried using \\paul\fs1000 etc for the share names in the add printer, it doesnt work. I can see the machine \\paul, but nothing below it.

I've also tried dir \\paul\temp etc tring to see whats on the drive. No lucky either.

net view shows up the machine on the lan ok.

Maybe its something really silly ? shocked

Any ideas?

Paul laugh

Well, i could view the machine faster, but i still can't install a network printer on NT, when the printer is on another computer running 98.

Any Ideas?

Paul

:D+ frown <-- me going crazy.

Hello,

i've fixed the error.

I had on the NT machine a net mask of 255.255.0.0, where as on the windows 98 machine i have 255.255.255.0 ... shocked

Anyway, i changed the mask on the NT machine(to 255.255.255.0), now it works correctly, i installed the remote printer, it work 100%. smile

I'm not to sure why it wouldn't work, but not to worry, its fixed.

Paul laugh