Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jeff123df2

win2k and 98 network issues

I'm running a lan with 3 comps, which all use zonealarm.

My network consists of: client for microsoft networks, file and print sharing, tcp/ip, and ipx/spx.

I'm running a 100base network.

(all of my comps are using identical network cards)

My windows 98 machines have no issues at all. They browse the network really fast, with and without zonealarm running.

My personal comp is duel booted with windows 98 and windows 2000 professional. (2000 with the NTFS file system).

The first issue is with my comp when i run windows 2000 on it.

Using network neighborhood, or clicking start, then run \\compname

to browse either of the 98 machines over the network, it takes a long time for their shared drives to show up.

It doesnt take too long, but it takes longer then it should. After they show up i can browse through the drives quickly though.

When i boot my comp in 98 and do the same thing, they show up right away. So now i figure its not a hardware issue at all, just a 2000 and 98 thing.

*I already removed everything in my network dialog box and re-added it all.(it seemed to me like some kind of client issue)

but that didnt fix the prob.

--any ideas on how to get 2000 to show the 98 drives just as quickly

as it shows them when running 98?

--could it be a fat32 and NTFS network security thing?

The other issue is with zonealarm.

Using 98 i can see and browse the network fine with zonealarm running on all machines.

While running 2000 on my comp, I cant see the network at all if the 98 machines are running zonealarm. Its kind of annoying.

Well i could go to zonealarm help for this one, but to be honest i dont really feel like it, so im just asking here about it if know why and feel like telling me lol.

-------------------

addition info:

my comp is made up of:

asus a7v kt133 socket a

amd athelon 800mhz

256mb pc133 sdram

40 gig western digital 7200rpm

3dfx voodoo 5500

sound blaster live

linksys etherfast 10/100

Delete this key in the registry and reboot:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]

This key makes win2k look for scheduled tasks and is causing the delay when browsing win9x-machines.

/Toby