Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ancker

Why won't my HTTP server allow others access?

My HTTP server works for me...but when anyone other than on my local machine tries to view my webpage it says server not found. I also assume i have everything set up fine. I used the wizard(laugh). I tried reinstalling IIS but to no avail. I have Black Ice running but i allow HTTP.

Sounds like name resolution. How are they entering the name for your server? Have they tried it by IP? Are the clients on your LAN or from another network (like the Internet)?

yes they are using IP to access...

and they are from the internet...no one in my lan has the problem

Ancker

How is your routing configured? Do you have port 80 forwarded properly?

Are you on a T1, DSL, dial up or what?

Do you have a static IP?

How are you hooked to the internet?

shouldn't IIS do the routing for me??

if i set HTTP server shouldn't it map port 80 to the directory i specified?

also i'm on a Dial-up

Ancker Jade

IIS does not do routing. In addition, you are using dial up on the server? So, is the server running as a proxy to the internet for your network as well? You should describe your network setup.

(2 machines)

1 Windows 2k Server 10.1.5.10

2 Windows 2k Pro 10.1.5.11

connected via crossover cable

when i type 10.1.5.10 on machine 2 it works...

but when i have a friend go to my dial-up IP it won't work..

doesn't make sense to me.

Ancker

Get a real webserver...

I use Apache 1.3 for Windows on my server, works great smile

http://24.182.188.171

Just moved to a dedicated server, trying to figure out how to get a DNS server setup so I can use my domain name, outrigged.com.

I do use a REAL web server

www.ancker.net you'll see that it's on APACHE

I'm just playing with this 2k Server Pro box..

Try not to clutter up the Posts with comments like that.

Ancker

I only use IIS and have had no (real :)) issues since version 2.

Here are some shots in the dark on this one, as I have never hosted a site through a modem before. Are you giving out the proper IP everytime you connect to the net with the modem? Do you have the site setup to respond to "All Unassigned" and have no "Host Header Names" assigned to your site? What thing that tends to happen is if you have *anything* listed for a header name, then that site will ONLY respond that the header names that are entered (i.e. if you have "test" for a header name it will not respond to 210.24.55.128, yourname.dynip.com, or anything else coming in unless they are also added as header names).

Any of you guys interested in detailing to me how to setup the DNS server included in Windows 2000 Adv. Server for my domain name?

I'm using some shitty third party software right now, and it expires in 14 days. I don't feel like spending $70 USD on it either, lol.

Do you have a static IP? And, do you have your domain name registered yet? You would need both of these to start off with. In addition, Win2K DNS REALLY wants a secondary server to sync with. I imagine that if you run it in simple text file mode you might be able to get away with one box and not fill up the event logs with errors. Also, if you want to continue this dialog, create a new thread in "Networking" so others will take a look at it.

No I do not have headers set up..

is there anything at all i can do?

let me know how i can get more detailed

ALSO in the event viewer i DO get a "A service has failed to load at startup" error..

but it doesn't tell me which one...

Ancker

Did you say that you were running blackice? Go to their website and copy and paste the code to allow web traffic in on 80 first. If that doesn't work let me know.

I am very experienced in DNS. If anyone would like to set up a chat somewhere I would be happy to help. Let me know when and I can try to schedule.

10.1.*.* is a black/nated ip, its not available from the internet.

now i may be missing something here (hungover like hell) but if your friends cannot connect to that ip from intenret theres the answer

I do know that using the IP 10.1.*.* (in my internal network) is not the problem. They cannot connect to my Public IP 206.5.*.*

I will look for code for BLack ICE..thanks for that tip..

We will see if it works.

Ancker Jade