Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ancker

Why won't my virtual mail server start at startup?

I am running Windows 2000 Server and am running a virtual mail server in IIS. It is set to Automatic and it won't start when Win2k boots. Whats wrong? It doesn't make any sense why it won't start. Everything is set up correctly.

Let me know.

Thanks

Ancker Jade

Do you have the SMTP service installed and running in IIS? They could be fighting over the same port.

The SMTP service has to be running or the mail service in IIS will not run.

if there are any details that would help you help me let me know.

Ancker

Are you sure about that? What is this "virtual email server" that you are running? SMTP for IIS is used for forwarding SMTP traffic, and isn't the best way (if at all) to host email. If you have something like Exchange 5.5 (2000 needs this service) or MDaemon, you need the SMTP service disabled or they will clash.

ok all i want my computer to do is act as a SMTP for myself.

i just altered the Default Mail thing in IIS.

i'm guessing i have it set up ALL wrong..

Ancker

If you go to Internet Systems manager you can create a "Virtual SMTP server"

thats what i have installed

Ancker

Do you have ANYTHING else that might run on port 25? Is this the same server with the firewall software on it? What does the event log say about this error? If it's hanging, it's usually because another service/application is trying to snag that port, so there may be something in the log about what's going on.

Believe me all i have is the basics...

Nothing special...it's done this the whole install....but a previous install didn't...

Ancker

You may want to try a service pack (re)install or removing and reinstalling IIS. I had to do this on my Win2K Pro workstation because I kept getting a "There is no administerable service present" or some such error. Reinstalled IIS, and no more problems.

I have tried reinstalling IIS..to no avail..

also i AM running SP1...maybe SP2 will fix it

Ancker