Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mickbench

Can you answer these

Questions I was asked to answer to apply for a Administrator Job...

Can anyone answer ALL these correctly.. I don't have the answers and I havnen't got the job either.. frown

Windows 2000 Server

· How can you revert AD to a version that was backed up on each of three domain controllers on a previous day

· You are installing windows 2000 server on ten new computers. These computers will provide file and print services to branch offices. You want to install, configure and test windows 2000 server on the branch offices' computers before shipping them to the branch offices. The users of the branch offices should enter the computer names and serial numbers when they receive the computers. What should you do?

· You configure a HP JetDirect device with an IP address of 10.4.20.200/16. You want to create and share a printer at a domain controller with an IP address of 10.5.20.50/16 that is connected to the TCP/IP port of the print device. When you enter the IP address of the device, you receive an error message. What should you do?

· A temporary employee has left your company. This employee used encryption to secure files in a shared folder. The files must now be made available to a new employee. What should you do?

· Your network consists of ten subnets that contain 10 domain controllers, 10 member servers, and numerous client computers. All servers run Windows 2000 server, and all clients run Windows 2000 Professional. Two domain controllers are DNS servers. You use only TCP/IP. You want client computers to be able to register and resolve addresses if a server fail. How should you configure the DNS servers so that all computers can resolve the address of all other computers by using DNS?

frown

I'll take a whack at it...

1. What are you rolling back? Are you going back to a regular NT domain? If you just converted to AD you should have had the PDC fully synced then offline during the conversion. That way in case of disaster you could demote the others and bring your PDC back on.

2. I have seen that, but I can't remember at the moment. There's an install mode that allows for that (similar to when a Dell PC shows up and can get a new SID based off names rather than the original image). I could look it up, but I am too lazy.

3. Using internal DNS, register names for the print servers in question (ps1.mydomain.com) and then use the name in the JetDirect software when installing the printer.

4. If no backup for the encryption was established, then either rename the account for the new employee since the individual will probably be doing the same thing as the old one, or change the password and logon as that user to remove the encryption. You shouldn't delete a user that soon anyway; all you have to do is disable the account as soon as you are told the person is leaving.

5. Using DDNS and DHCP in mind, have the DNS servers configured for the same zone (at the base of all the subnets) but one as primary and the other as secondary for that zone. Allow replication between them, and using DHCP have the zone primary setup as the first DNS box, and the zone secondary setup as the second DNS box.

Bear in mind that I haven't had to do any of these, but each of these would be my first attempt at each scenario.

1. You can restore Active Directory from a windows backup, but to be exrtra sure you use Directory Services Restore mode.

2.Don't know, never had to do it.

3. Personally I would move the printer to the same subnet that the server resides on. That's just me though.

4.Take ownership of the folder. That should give you access to it, or atleast allow you to nab the files.

5. What clutch said =P

I was trained for NT, and most test questions involve enterprise situations. That was fine for NT because I was trained for enterprise environment...but with 2000 I work with a 30 comp lan, so my answers are prob fubared. =)

In reply to Gleep:

1. I would think that too, but he didn't specify what type of restore he's looking at.

2. I remember that from a class I took for up[censored] support skills.

3. That's the most common sense approach if possible. I wouldn't host a resource like that between subnets anyway unless I was trying to sport inter-site printing.

4. Taking ownership will not permit access to encrypted files. You still have to have the primary or backup key bound to your credentials for that file. The encryption sticks with it even if you move the file (pretty cool, eh?).

5. laugh

4. Sweet, didn't know that. We don't do a lot of encrypting here hehe.

My second choice is what you said "or change the password and logon as that user to remove the encryption. You shouldn't delete a user that soon anyway; all you have to do is disable the account as soon as you are told the person is leaving."

Beleive it or not,

I did give most of these pretty much the same answers...

didn't really know what to do with question 2 as it was really not something I do...

The DNS Resolving was the best one... I give that answer.. In the interview he wasn't happy... Two DNS Servers. One Primary, one Secondary... Use DHCP Lookup... Replicate between the two.. Job done.. If one Server goes down, you have another to resolve addresses..

Ask me, they were questions for solutions you would have to take time and some testing to implement...!!

The AD was also a classic... It was not clear what they really wanted to gain from the restore...

Anyhow... I felt a bit thick after that interview, but still.. Nice to see others give it a go...

Clutch..!!! Well done..!!

Michael

Bear in mind that some of these interview questions are merely used to evaluate a person's thinking process. If you can come up with an answer that is reasonably feasible or at least makes sense, they will usually look favorably on it. With a system as new as AD, it would be hard to expect someone to answer these questions off of the top of his/her head. The only people that could would have probably indicated a strong history of AD use in an enterprise environment or that he/she has studied the OS extensively (but this would have been in the resume). Did they tell you that you aren't what they are looking for already? You may still be in the running.

Clutch..

Beleive it or not, just been asked to attend another interview..

As for AD... It is very new... I have a book with over 800 pages and I am sure this only touches on a small part...

I still can't get away from the fact that Windows 2000 can have more then one HOST name using DNS, as opposed to WINS and NETBIOS Resolution...

Old skills die hard sometimes...

Michael