Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Silent-IQ

Sharing my ADSL line with other computers with one nic?

ok, i have adsl modem (which does not work as a router) and i need to set up my win2k machine as gateway but only one nic. is that posible?`

this means that adsl modem is connected to a hub with connect say 3 other computers, one of those has a internet connection with the modem and serves as gateway to other computers. posibble?

//Silent.

As far as I know, the only 2 ways are to use a router or a machine with 2 NICs, sorry. I'm probably wrong though smile

--

Xiven

It works with a hub an some routing software: wingate, winroute, sygate, avirt,...

i don't know how things have to be plugged in tho, cuz i only have a 2 computer network, with 2 nics in the server and a cross-over coupler on the cable.

Get Sygate Home Networking. It allows you to fake a Virtual NIC when you only have one in the server. (As opposed to the best use of it by having 2NICs)

I think the only way to do it...as far as ive seen is by having 2 NICs....as rgodart said that it would work with software and a hub, but I assume it would run like this:

ADSL---->CPU(nic#1)---->software--->CPU(nic#2)--->Hub-->other cpu

I have it set up with a LOAF router set up...2 computers on the network with a hub and 4 nics smile

you can share your internet connection with Sygate having only one NIC. I've heard that it's not the best way to do it, but it works. Just a hub and one NIC on each copmuter should do it.

I guess one of the bad things is that the hub sends all the data back to the internet connection you have creating some interference.... but I'm not an expert on any of this.... I just know it works :P

Cheers

That hub you speak of....would that be a special kind of hub/switch?

I know that hubs relay data...is this what you mean?? Wouldnt it be the same as it nornally would using more than one IP address and plugging the ADSL into the uplink? Just curious. :P

I didn't think of that :P

Again, I'm not the best person to ask that stuff to. My knowledge is limited to a bunch of posts that I have been reading since I got a hub and have been wanting to share my cable access among 3 of my machines. The hub isn't here yet, so I haven't tryied anything yet. But from what I've read the whole Sygate setup with a hub and one NIC per machine should do the trick..... hopefully smile

RRAS with a demand dial interface...the modem. I did it with a standard 56K modem and it worked great. Now, I have a cable modem and am using two nics.

Jon

With PCI network cards available for under $30 USD at local stores like Best Buy, your best bet would be to purchase a second NIC, just to make things easier.

I have an ADSL four port Netcomm of which I am only using one port. I have the router/modem plugged into a Linux Smoothwall server set to DHCP. My Linux server has two NICs in it. One for the router connected via CAT5 100mbs card and a second card connects to my home LAN (3 computers) all of which can use the ADSL connection. The trick is that the Router is set to DHCP and so is Smoothwall. I need to boot the router first the server second then the LAN computers after that so as all receive their IPs dynamically.

Works well and is secure from probing eyes on the outside.

I think you should be able to use a single port modem in place of the 4 port modem if you tell smoothwall that it has a fixed IP. Everything else I guess would be the same.

PS. Speed of the LAN cards is not critical as even a 10mbs NIC is faster than any ADSL connection. Faster NICS just help in faster file transfer and movies across a LAN.