Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
somato

Win XP beta 2 and Hercules Game Theater XP

I just installed the Hercules GT in my computer. It works fine in win me and win 2000 but doesn't seem to work in win XP. Tried the default win XP drivers but the sound quality was terrible. Upgraded to the win 2000 Hercules drivers and I now get a high pitched screeching sound when I play any type of sound. Tried the drivers on the CD and version 2.01 on the Hercules website, nothing seems to work. Has anyone come across this problem and have a solution? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

That's exactly what's happening with my santa cruz. At first I got no sound at all, but now I only get buzzing and whining. I know someone else that is having the same problems, but no one here seems to be able to help.

i occasionally get the problem with my SantaCruz when it happens i just shutdown whatever soundapp im using and load up another one. I usually get the problem with Winamp so i shut it down and load up Tribes 2 or something. Come back load winamp its fine again. The problem seems to be the way that they modified the sound properties and the way drivers interact with XP.

Had the problem, got rid of XP, solved the problem laugh

New drivers are out for the GTXP for win2k try those. In the meantime I'm livin pretty in win2k/98

I tried XP beta 2 with my GTXP and had similiar problems. I read on hercules' forums that it has to do with DirectX 8. WinXP comes with dx8 installed and the gtxp drivers arnt meant for dx8. if you read the faq on hercules page it mentions not installing dx8 on win9x/me/2k. aparently the drivers for the gtxp dont get along with dx8. i once installed win2k with dx8 and the hercules drivers and had all sorts of problems. now im using win2k, dx7 and the 2.01 drivers and have no problems. Also, ive had strange sound issues with mp3's and playing divx movies, the sound glitches out for a moment. This is due to the "digital in" being unmuted in the control panel. Aparently the port runs in polled mode and the driver is constantly polling to see if a stream is present, when it polls, the audio glitches. By muting the digital in when not in use these problems went away.

Hope this helps.

Ultrix

why the HELL wouldn't they make drivers for DX8?! that's rediculous!

Sometimes divx movies wont have sound because mp3 acceleration is enabled in the herc control panel also.

They are working on DX8 drivers, most likely, but we wont see it in a while. Hercules dont have the best driver team...

I want an nforce with its nvidia audio DX8 compatible. So far what I've read it works great in win2k + DX8 and besides its tech used in xbox that has to have bulletproof DX8 and win2k drivers hehe

ok enough xbox but I really belive in nvidia and drivers support. my geforce2 has worked much better than any other hardware I have had under win2k. gtxp, ati, abit emodulator (no rear channel audio), hercules thriller 3d (they never updated the drivers as long as I had the card - for one year!).

hardware is nothing without software (read:drivers)

Its a memory issue in the drivers. frown

Seems that if you have 256MB RAM or less it works MOST OF THE TIME.

Hercules game theaterXP + WindowsXP yes,there are some problems.

I managed to install w2k drivers off setup cd with all the associated whinging directed at me by winXP regarding "not digitally signed by microsoft",well they better hurry up and signe more drivers and hardeware manafacturers better hurry and get compattible drivers out.

Anyway getting back to it,I got Herc working for the life of me I cant remember how but it worked fine.WinXP kept prompting to send unlimited error reports all through the process of getting Herc going though and I think WinXP got heavilly corrupted in the process.

The OS couldnt even cope with ASUS 1260 V2800 drivers though and wouldnt restart until I restored to a previous config.WinXP has problems.HercXP game theater works fine on my 98se sys with dX8 no problems whatsoever.

WinXP dont hurry to upgrade,wait a few months after it is officially released and all the official drivers are out,then test run it.Once its officially out I wont hold back on bombarding Microsoft with the thousands of error repports that Im sure are still going to pop up.

Its not a WinXP problem.....hercules have already said its a problem with their drivers....new ones october frown

Had to put a SB Vibra128 in my machine for the time being....what a DOWNgrade frown