Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mike3411

SMP problems

I just installed a second PIII-800EB after having just one in my VP6 for some time, and although the BIOS recognized the second CPU, Win2k Pro does not appear to be using it. I ran Passmark Performance Test before and after the upgrade, but I get the same score. Additionally, when I go to system information, it only lists one processor. Finally, while looking around to see if there was something I should be enabling, I found in the Environment Variables of one of the Win2k control panels, the number of processors was set to 1. I tried changing this to 2, but that didn't seem to make a difference, although I didn't reboot. Is there something I have to do to get Win2k to utilize the second processor?

Thanks!

-Mike C.

You will have to change the computer type in Device Manager to one of the Multi CPU systems. Or, you could just reinstall and let 2k chose the correct (hopefully) one for you. wink

8) You never change a Major system component without a reformat. If you change your mobo or processor you should AWLAYS reformat.

Blech. Tru dat, but I wanted to check to see if I could get it to work first, since I'm reformating/reinstalling shortly anyway. That worked great! By benchmarks jumped very nicely smile

Thanks!

-Mike C.

"If you change your mobo or processor you should AWLAYS reformat"

I'm assuming you mean if you add a second CPU or such.

There is no way a total reformat is the way to go if you're upgrading from say an 800mhz to a 1Ghz CPU - total waste of time.

Adding a second processor does not require a reinstall of the os

Simply check your computer under device manager

chances are your computer is using the driver for ACPI computer (or ACPI Uniprocessor)

right click on it, do a driver update

and tell it to show all hardware

if it displayed ACPI, then select ACPI Multiprocessor system

if it displayed standard computer, select multiprocessor computer

basically, you can change the drivers between ACPI uni and multi,

and between standard and multi

BUT NOT between Standard and ACPI

if it was acpi it must be changed to ACPI multi

it if wasn't acpi, it cannot be changed to acpi.

then reboot

it should boot just fine.

if it doesn't boot (BSOD)(meaning you messed up the the ACPI thing

then you can just boot with the 2000 cd. and choose to automatically repair the installation.

it will automatically do it, reboot and all will be well.

either way, still much faster and easier than a reinstall.

you didn't upgrade your motherboard, and you didn't change anything dramatically, you will be fine without reinstalling

BlaZeR2