Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
biris

need help for double boot

I already have Win2K installed.

How can I install another O.S. and have double boot?

Should I uninstall Win2K first?

And what O.S. should I install first?

Could anyone help me with this question?

Depends on what OSs you would like to dual boot.

I usually put Win98SE on first and make sure everything has a driver and all of that good stuff and then install Windows NT or 2000. Windows 2k will make a boot.ini file which will then allow you to chose which operating system you would like to boot into.

In your case since you already have Win2K installed you could go ahead and install Win98SE. You will not be able to boot into Win2k for the moment, but that is okay. All you have to do is run a repair on win 2K and then all will be well.

Yup, just install 98 on a different partition or hard drive. Then run the repair install--boot off the Win2k cd and hit 'R' instead of *Enter*. Note--if you have Win2k installed on a NTFS partition, 98 cannot read NTFS, so if you want to transfer files, you'll have to be in Win2k.

I always use FAT32 regarless of wether Im doing a dual boot with Win2k and some other OS or not.

FAT32 helps, but its not necessary for Win2k, but 98 has to be FAT32 or FAT16, but FAT32 is much better anyway.

It is ideal to install 98 first but I havent had problems doing it either way.

umm dude, FAT 32 isnt even close to being better than NTFS 5 or 5.1, but if he is running 9x and doesnt have a copy of NTFS for 9x then you need to use FAT32 if you want to be able to access both partions from both OSes then use FAT

I know NTFS isnt close to FAT32, but I dont really see the need to use NTFS. If I was doing pc's for a company, hell yeah, they'd all be NTFS, no question.

I just didnt want to put too much info down to mess him up, of course, Ive probably done that now. ;(

duh its our job to confuse people here so they don't come back and post again. I mean that is why we have jdulmage and DOSFREAK around to antagonize people. One thing i like over FAT is NTFS's ability to compress files.

ROFL! Oh yeah, I forgot, silly me? Hahaha!:D

If it works for you, go for it.

Confusion...LOL! Hahaha!