Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CrashNBurn

Networking across dorm network

Ok, so here's the low down; I want to share a couple of folders across the network here at my dorms. I have been using the guest account, but I don't like how open that leaves my system (even though I'm running Blackice Defender). Also, I wasn't able to set permissions so that people could delete and edit some of the shared content (I was trying to run a message board, and for some reason, when I set permissions to read and change, the folders would disappear for people running Win9X). I don't want to have to set up an account for each person that logs onto my computer. Is there some other way that I can let everybody access my computer? Also, can somebody PLEASE tell me how the privilages work, and what the differnce between the Everybody, Network, and all those groups are. I don't understand how to restrict people to read only, or to read and change, and which groups can do what. Thanks

CrashNBurn

They give entire courses in this stuff so you probably won't get everything you need to know from this thread...if you want to ICQ me I can help you out over time, which would probably work better.

However, one thing that may solve your problem is using a domain. When all your users are part of your domain, you can easily throw them into groups and set permissions for the groups rather than for each individual user. You can do this without a domain, but when they are in the domain, their access rights are spread accross every computer on your network... unless you specify otherwise. This is because now instead of having "local" accounts, the users now have "global" accounts, and can log onto any computer in the domain using their personal login and password.

If you run into any problems it would likely be because you have a mixed 98/NT setup there. Win9x, while fine for grandmom at home trying to send an email, is hardly a good OS choice for true networking purposes. Sure you can hook it up to one, but you get nothing in the way of local security, remote control (well, that depends), and customization (in every way imaginable, well almost). This is an issue if you are running it on your local network and are expecting it to perform some sort of authentication tasks or the like. If it's on your network and it's used as an "outside" machine, then you have to configure your NT machines how to talk to it, and what NOT to say to it, depending on the user that logs in. However, even though Win9X has that login screen, by simply pressing cancel, the user is able to bypass logging in. This is something I've never understood. This is why a lot of companies who have 98 desktops often use Novell servers and put a Novell client for 9X on client machines accross the network. Anyways, since you are running a message board, it is more likely that you need to set permissions in IIS. If your users are using IE or NScape to access this forum, (IE is better), they will be subject to the authentication function of IIS 4 or 5 (5 is included with win2k and 4 is downloadable from microsoft.com and is called "option pack"). This is irrespective of the OS they are using, and relies purely on the browser.

Anyways, I've got to go to class. Hope this helps some.

Dude, Win2k is not gay. The networking on it beats the **** outta Win9x, so dont start the Win2k bashing!mad

If you're gonna bite the hand that feeds, **** you, too!

Ok guys, I'm REALLY SORRY, but I accidently posted my password and some ******* has been logging in under my name and posting ****. That is not me, but I take full responsibility because I was the idiot who posted my password. I'm so sorry guys. If you get any inflamitory posts, those are not me. Thanks

CrashNBurn

Smite that infidel!!:D

Love Win2k networking! Just because you can set it up during the install, so once its all said and done you can get online (DSL, Cable) and/or be networked like that.

I will say that 9x/Win2k combo networking is hell, mainly because 9x refuses to see Win2k. The wierd part about that is you can play games (Half Life) flawlessly. I dont know why that is, but it is irritating.

You could try PCAnywhere from Symantec, which basically allows you to "take over" the other PC via an IP address. However, that is a fairly expensive program, but you could see if there is a trial version and see how you like it. Like anything, there are ways to make the trial full blown full version, but this is a respectable board, so I cant say more than that. Im not up for a lawsuit.

The reason why HL worked fine was that it was using straight IP with no LANMAN authentication. The reason why Win9x-to-WinNT/2K networking seems like hell is that very few people who try this fully understand the name resolution and authentication procedures of the operating systems in question. I don't care for Win9X just because of stability and security. I can get a dozen of them setup and talking to each other and to NT-based systems just fine (as can most of the experienced members here), but the local security of it is poor, and the OS is fairly open to GPFs due to poorly written applications.

Yup, that is confusing, I get the jist of what you're saying, but thats it. You dont have to explain it all, btw. Im by no means a computer god, but I do think that Win9x has terrible networking--especially ME. 98 has worked pretty good, sometimes. Win2k rules in networking. It was a breeze the first time I set it up to test it out, and later I dumped ME just for all the hassle I had. I really think that MS has done a very good job with Win2k. Yeah, there are problems, but I have had a very good time with it, until something gets out of whack, then most of the time the best fix is a reinstall.

XP can improve over 9x in the fact that the networking will be much better if Win2k is any indication.

I would never, ever tell any company to use 9x right now, but if they must, 98 is the way to go, simply because ME is terrible about networking. Win2k is rock solid as far as what OS's Ive used, and is great once you get used to it.;)

Now I'll go away for now.