Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas Brown

Newbie needs security help with Win2000

Hi All

I have been running Windows2000 on my pc for a few days now - its great, I love it, but I need some help making it more secure.

The PC will be getting left connected to the internet most of the day, running a Telnet server (TelnetXQ) and an FTP Server (Serv-U).

I have ZoneAlarm running too. Ive heard you talking about "tweaking" it and if anyone can give me any guides, tips, advice on how to make it any more secure - it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nicholas Brown

As far as security, it would be better for you to use the built-in telnet daemon and IIS for your ftp site.

Both are free with Win2k and work off your existing user accounts.

Sorry - I hate IIS. Its slow, sluggish and need I say more?

I am using Apache as well, I just dont see IIS as an option.

I have also heard there is a big hole in the MS Telnet server - concerning DoS attacks...

Also, TelnetXQ works from the user accounts within 2000

If you are running an FTP like Serv-U then Windows 2000 security wont do squat. All security for the FTP is set up through Serv-U.

If you want a very secure FTP, but with less options, use IIS.. btw... i don't know why you say it's slow.... cuz it's lightning fast for me. IIS will use system privelages on the files you share on your ftp. So whenever you want to add a user to your ftp, you have to add it to the local system user accounts, (or domain accounts if thats the case), then set the appropriate privelages on the files shared.

is it possible just to install the FTP server of IIS?

The reason I say its slow is because as a web server - it is. Apache beats the pants off it

Weird, I haven't had any speed issues with it. But in any case, you can just disable the webs using the IIS MMC from a client PC or on the server itself while retaining the FTP server and vice versa.

Must admit the more we use IIS the more we are liking it.

We used to run both our Intranet and Web Server on LINUX boxes, however now we have an AD domain we decided to give IIS a go.

The Intranet box has now got 6 weeks of up-time, something you'd never have been able to do under NT4.

Loving it, might have to take a look at the IIS built into XP server aswell.

Sorry bud, no idea.

If I could help, I would.

I think you need to tweak the telnet server somehow to recieve plaintext logins instead of NTLM. Try it with telnet.exe and see if it works.