Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BladeRunner

Scsi Dvd-rom & Ata Raid

Hi,

Just want to know if anybody here is using SCSI CD-ROM's and also has an IDE RAID controller.

More importantly if they are using the IDE RAID controller as a bootable device.

Reading through the various manuals for both the SCSI & RAID card seems to indicate that:

Only one of these devices (classed as INT18?) can be bootable.

More importantly it totally depends on which order they are installed into your computer, ie whichever of these two cards is installed before the other (PCI clot numbering) will be bootable.

So, lets say I move the RAID controller to PCI slot 2, then I could make it bootable, however I then loose the ability to boot from SCSI CD-ROM.

Not a big issue I guess, if I want to install an OS I can boot from floppy.

However, manuals for motherboards indicate you should be able to have two INT18 devices set as bootable and/or choose which device you want to boot from via a key combo during post?

Tar

Yep, I've had both in my computer. If you have the IDE Raid, you'll have issues booting off the SCSI Cdrom. I basically just got into my Adaptec 2940U2 bios and turn the bios off but enable the scan. That way, the bios doesn't load and it doesn't try to boot.

Works like a champ.

Etexter,

Thanks for the reply.

I have an Adaptec 19160 so I'm assuming I'll be able to do the same.

So, what order have you got the two PCI cards?

SCSI card before the RAID and then just disabled the SCSI cards abaility to boot?

I'm also assuming if I did it this way, I could allow the PC to boot from the SCSI CDROM, boot from say a Win2k CD, on the first re-boot disable the SCSI BIOS and it will then be able to boot from the IDE RAID?

Thanks again.