Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mike Zamarocy

Anyone try the 12.00 DET drivers?

Darn, all the drivers with all sorts of different version numbers, its really hard to understand which is which now. The 6x seris is fast and notably stable, the 7x is supposedly DX8 oriented, and now the 1x series which I don't quite understand what they are - some seem to think they are made as MS native drivers, thus the different style version numbers.

I have been using the WHQL approved 7.58 drivers and like them a lot. But I am curious about the latest ver 12.00 ones. Anyone try them? I have not seen any benchmarks, nor any pros/cons as to the 7x's vs the 1x's. Anyone got suggestions? 8)

Oh yeah, I just grab the latest drivers out, beta or no. They run well, and are a tad faster than the 11.01 which were a tad faster than the 10.80 which wer a ton faster than the 7.58's or something like that. They run fine with DX8. The only problem I notice with anything, and its probably the game itself, is in HL in D3D when I exit a game the screen is black, so you have to use the keyboard shortcut commands, which really suck.

Hi, I have the 12.01's on my PC as well. So far I've played GP3 and TR4 and the only problem I've noticed is display's of bitmaps(I think), such as the starting lights in GP3, aren't working. Otherwise they seem to be ok....

Chris

Well, I am trying them out now, and so far Rogue Spear is running real nice. Haven't tried CS yet, my other FAV at the moment - but that is because Rogue has got me MORE hooked right now!:D

Does anyone have a link for the latest drivers, the Nvidia site seems to think the current release is 6.51 or something like that, have Nvidia stopped actually releasing drivers on their site and now started distributing them through hardware review sites?

Hi and first of all, thanks for the links. I tried them, but the version 12s are horrible on my PC. I am running Windows 2000 (dual boot between Professional and Advanced Server), and both are patched to SP1. The problem is that as soon as I apply the new drivers and rebbot, the traditional drop shadow on the mouse pointer is replaced by a solid black square, and more annonyingly, if you run DXDIAG, I find out that AGP is gone. At the moment I am running the 7.17 drivers without any probs at all, but I think there are 7.57 WHQL drivers, so I will get those. Any ideas what the problems are with these drivers? P.S. I am using a GeForce 256 with DDR RAM.

I got excactly the same probs as "DavidJonesIGI" on my comp.

It's the 7.58 that are whql. They are fast in opengl but suck in d3d. i prefer the 10.80's (thety seem the fastest for d3d on my computer).

P3 800 EB

Abit be6-2

256 mb ram pc133

hercules geforce ddr

sblive value

winme/win2k prof dualboot

What are you guys running for CPU's that have these problems? AMD? I have a genuine Intel D815EEA mobo and an Intel P933 CPU - and none of those problems you talk about.;)

I am running a 1GHz Athlon T-Bird on KT7 motherboard. My BIOS is a bit old, bit I can't update it till I get my new fan in (the current one doesn't support RPM reading) I solved the AGP problem with the 10.80 drivers by reinstalling the VIA 4 in 1 after the drivers. Maybe something was up and the install routine automatically installed the ALi agp GART file that it ships with? I will try the 12.00 drivers again and let you know.

I picked up the 12.00, and they worked like a charm. I used to have a lockup on the Dragothic test in 3dmark2001, but the 12s fixed it. Seems to run a little faster, and the FSAA controls are a little easier to get to.

Well Mike i'm running a genuine intel P3 800 smile on a 440bx mobo. And i got the prob smile

I fixed the AGP problem in DXDIAG with these 12.00, but the black square keeps appearing occasionally, could this not be related to the bitmap display problems cuke is having? I imagine the drop shadow is a bitmap. I haven't run any games with these drivers yet, but I will let you know as soon as I do.

Interesting that you are having this prob on a PIII. Might be the BX board too? No longer new enough compared to the i815 chips out now? Would be an interesting idea to get a poll of what CPU/Mobo combo folks have that do/don't have these problems. Maybe somewhere in that we could see a pattern?

Oh joy, now we have the new 7.76 DET drivers! Argh! So what is the benefit of these now?

And where was it that I read a nice explanation of what benefits each major revision of the drivers have again? I mean as in What do the 5x, 6x, 7x, and 1x (10, 11, 12) have special about them.confused